« [Dear_Trent: WHY?] | Main | [WTC_Bookclub: Saul_Williams_Anyone?] »

2006.05.28

[Ch_Ch_Ch_Ch_Changes]

So someone is sporting a new hairstyle for this leg of the tour, and we would be greatly remiss not to comment.

5_27_06

(Better pics can be found here, which are available for purchase, if your heart so desired.

Personally, I feel kind of "meh" about this look. It reminds me of the days when my husband (then boyfriend) would randomly show up with a completely shaved head. I didn't hate it, but I've always preferred him to have some hair. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the Marine look on Trent, but now I think he's...ahem...gone too far this time. Just a bit. But it's not a tragedy or anything. Trent, like Bruce Willis, has a nicely shaped cranium. The bald look looks a lot more natural on him than, say, someone else we know.

But...probably the more important news is what has been showing up on the setlists so far...

Somewhat Damaged
Non-entity (I'm really not sure if this should be an open, closed or hyphenated compound)
La Mer (!!!)
Into the Void
Get Down Make Love (?!!!!)

Seriously, boys and girls, I can't wait til Cueball rolls into my town.

Posted by maise in maise_bites | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference [Ch_Ch_Ch_Ch_Changes]:

Comments

Non-entity? Seriously, I am crying right now. I love that shit.

I'm not sure about that baldness, tho. I'm going to patiently wait it out.

Posted by: Dierdre | May 28, 2006 5:57:52 AM

Well it is a bit short. I’m wondering if he lost another bet. Or maybe he just misplaced the comb guard to his hair clippers between the last part of the tour and this one.

I hope that he’s being wise and using sun screen on that dome when he’s out in the sun for sound checks and whatnot. I don’t know what it would feel like to have a sun burn all over your head but it has been uncomfortable the few times I’ve been burned where I part my hair. And you usually don’t realize it until you’ve already run the brush through your hair and you cringe like a mad man.

I’ll wager he doesn’t keep this style very long. Usually when a guy has it cut that short everyone around him gets the uncontrollable urge to touch his head. I don’t imagine Trent would want to suffer that too long from Aaron. Although this might be a good way to get rid of that flying monkey.

Trent: Aaron quit touching my head.
Aaron: But it’s just so prickly.
Trent: Aaron I’m fucking serious. I’ll bust your ass if you don’t knock it off.
Aaron: **mesmerized** p r i c k l y
Trent: Look I replaced a hundred drummers in the middle of the tour last year. Don’t think for a minute that I can’t do the same to you.
Aaron: I wonder what it would feel like if I licked it?
Trent: **KA-PLOW-EE** (We now see Aaron body slump over to floor his head severely misshapen. The other band members run over to see Trent standing over Aaron.) Look guys I only meant to box his ears not squish his puny head, although he had it coming. Damn these He-Man arms.

Posted by: Iris | May 28, 2006 10:30:28 AM

Well, Dierdre, if you start to get impatient, you can always relive whatever you think is the Golden Age of Trent's Hair here.

Posted by: maise | May 28, 2006 9:08:40 PM

Am I hallucinating or does Trent bear a distinct resemblance to Jake Gyllenhaal in Jarhead here? Jake, keep this in mind for your Oscar-winning biopic opportunity a few years from now.

Posted by: maise | May 28, 2006 9:52:18 PM

well for that kroq breakfast thingie they did he said it was an accident, so i wouldn't be too concerned. i still love him to bits.

Posted by: | May 28, 2006 11:11:45 PM

Oh, well in that case, I'm sure it will all be sorted out soon. Poor Trent with a bad hair day...kind of like that one time when I was in 7th grade and thought I could cut my own bangs.

Posted by: maise | May 29, 2006 5:23:43 AM

Who hasn't done that, eh Maise?

I'm glad this whole baldness thing will be of short duration... I'm not a big fan of those bulgy skin wrinkles at the base of the neck of a man with, well, a THICK NECK.

Having said that, Trent could have a full on case of lizard neck, and I would still think he's totally hot, so whatevs.

As I've said many a time, here at WTC, HAIR SCHMAIR.

Posted by: Dierdre | May 29, 2006 6:40:03 AM

He's got a month to grow it back in time for my show. Meh.

Posted by: emerald527 | May 29, 2006 4:48:08 PM

I think the shaved head is a little too Maynard-esque for my taste.

I'd love for him to have his fragile hair again. I'd also love for him to play And all that could have been at my shows. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Oh yeah, Hi! It's been a while.

Posted by: Nicole | May 29, 2006 4:54:03 PM

Ditto to what Nicole said. Even if aatchb was the only song they played I would die of happiness.
And that's true about a shaved head- my cousin has hair that short and I can't stop myself from rubbing his head.

Posted by: RL | May 29, 2006 6:31:21 PM

Even though Gabriel in his lameness totally dissed "Still" a while ago, that's probably my all-time fav NIN album (if one would technically call it an album...it was kind of short). So I too would absolutely love to hear "And All That Could Have Been," but I'm not going to hold my breath or anything. But I'm happy to get what I get. I'm glad to see that he's revisiting The Fragile more recently. Both halves are beautiful, if underappreciated by the masses.

Posted by: maise | May 29, 2006 7:00:56 PM

Oh, and welcome back, Nicole!

Posted by: maise | May 29, 2006 7:07:46 PM

Yeah, the hair is too short. Plus, paired with that military-type jacket, he scares me. I wonder if it was clipper error. My brother used to clip his hair and when he looked like this it was because he screwed up.

Posted by: Chrise | May 29, 2006 7:19:40 PM

Yeah, he could hardly leave one side longer than the other.

My husband used to shave his head with a razor back in the day, so he would be smooth bald. And he used to have a long-ish goatee. And he's kind of a big, imposing guy, so he used to scare people. He's a lot more cuddly-looking these days.

Posted by: maise | May 29, 2006 7:38:56 PM

AATCHB is no doubt one of the most beautiful songs I’ve heard in the NIN catalog but it’s also one that I have only recently discovered (think last Thursday). I’ve only really become a hardcore fan since With_Teeth came out so there are still “new” songs I’m finding here and there. But, while hearing it live would be mind blowing-ly amazing, I really hope it doesn’t get played, and I think there’s already a good chance that it won’t. I still can’t listen to the recording without bursting into tears. That one just really touches a nerve and a few memories and I really wouldn’t want to share that with the other pit members. I’ve never gone to pieces over a song before and was very surprised that it happened (happens). I don’t want to build a tolerance to the feeling it conveys but maybe with some additional listens the affect of making me into a blubbering fool will subside a bit.

On a completely separate note, what the hell is up with Jeordie’s makeup? Is this some new technique that is supposed to accentuate your eyes and cheekbones? Did his acupuncturist forget to wipe off the dots after his session? Or is this how the band members are passing their tour bus time these days playing the “fuck with the first person who falls asleep” game with permanent marker? **sigh** Boys will be boys.

Posted by: Iris | May 29, 2006 11:19:15 PM

Oh dear, Jeordie. No, no, no, no, no, no.

Posted by: maise | May 29, 2006 11:23:27 PM

Oh, and just a reminder, everyone...when your show rolls around, we need reviews! We can even make them wtc_guest_contributions if you'd like, and you'll get front-page billing! (Iris and I went that route last time, and it turned out very well, if I do say so myself.)

Just send your reviews to either Dierdre or me...well, I might be able to act on it more quickly if poor Dierdre remains computer-less...a situation that continues to leave me BEREFT and GRIEVING.

Posted by: maise | May 29, 2006 11:59:23 PM

Good news, Maise! My computer is no longer BROKEN, it's now FIXED! The only problem is that I may not have the spare minute I need to pick it up until later this week. Here is my pledge, however: I WILL HAVE IT BY THE WEEKEND.

I hope Trent manages to get up to some CRAZY SHIT by then, because I can go ON AND FREAKING ON about it this weekend, man.

Plus, I swear that I will FINALLY answer your e-mail. Girl, I have had a crazy few weeks, and it sounds like you have, too. We will be in touch soon...

Posted by: Dierdre | May 30, 2006 1:38:51 AM

Oh frabjous day!

Posted by: maise | May 30, 2006 6:30:40 AM

Wow, what a rollercoaster you put us on D. “My computer is fixed.” HOORAY! “But I can’t get it ‘til later.” AWwww. “But I promise to have it by this weekend.” HOORAY!!!

I hope we get a few reviews before my show this summer (which also happens to be Maise’s show). From what I’ve seen and heard on other message boards it seems like it’s going to be pretty cool. It looks like LCD screens are back and some sort of chain/grate thingy that lights up (?) in the front replacing the gauzy curtain.

And speaking of reviews…where the hell is Gabriel. I was just sure that we’d be getting some crazy comments or some crap about the Guns N Roses show Rock In Rio that showed online this weekend. I only tuned in ‘cause I had 20 minutes to kill waiting for the pizza guy but Axl’s voice is shot. You either couldn’t hear him over all the guitars or he sounded like it caused him physical pain to screech like the days of yore.

Posted by: Iris | May 30, 2006 7:17:45 AM

I know...I miss Gabriel very much, and I was hoping we could all get into some online pissing match about the merits of Guns N' Roses vs. NIN and vice versa. I hope he'll turn up sooner or later.

Posted by: maise | May 30, 2006 9:27:03 AM

I like jeordie's makeup. Yes I'm weird.
I like reading anything about Finck.

Posted by: RL | May 30, 2006 2:10:23 PM

Some comments on the new picture (5/30)

1. Wow, what a pretty amphitheater! I wish my city had some scenery.
2. Wow, Trent is really far away.
3. And he brought his doggy. Hmmm...wonder why he won't tell us this dog's name? ;)

Posted by: maise | May 30, 2006 11:28:45 PM

For those that were in any way doubtful of the appearance of Get Down Make Love to the set list. Youtube.com we humbly bow down and chant “we’re not worthy, we’re not worthy!” Hahaha. This song had better be a permanent add ‘til at least July 1st or I’m going to throw a hissy fit! There are plenty of other new clips from the Sasquatch Festival but way too many to link from here.

And with that the ecstatic git is leaving the premises!

Oh and Maise, his dog’s name is mentioned in one of the segments of the KROQ breakfast thing. Sorry I can’t remember which one. Guess I’ll just have to listen to them all again!

Posted by: Iris | May 30, 2006 11:35:10 PM

I think the dog's name is Josie. And I don't remember Trent saying that the haircut was an accident, but I guess I'll just have to listen again too! How about him saying he might like to make movies? It'll never happen, but it's an interesting thought.
And Iris, I'm with you on aatchb being a rare song that can make me cry, but that's why I want to hear it live.

Posted by: RL | May 31, 2006 1:07:08 AM