« [Words_of_Misery: the_day_the_gothemo_died] | Main | [This_Is_What_It_Feels_Like] »

2005.06.20

[Two_Salient_Points]

Ok. I can no longer be silent. There are two things I want everyone to know RIGHT NOW.

First: There is nothing whatsoever wrong with Trent's fan club master plan. All you haters -- and ESPECIALLY YOU, Gabriel -- can suck my hog, and no doubt, Trent's too. I have absolutely NO PROBLEM dusting off the bucks to become a card-carrying Nine Inch Nails fan. If Trent wants to laugh all the way to the bank, it's fine with me, goddammit. He's earned it with years of darkness and suffering for his art, and nothing can change that fact.

More to the point, if there's any rockstar on the face of the earth who will make my 60 bucks worth every penny, it's Trent Reznor. I mean, yeah, I wish it bought me a front row seat to his jock, but I understand that there are some things that are just too much to ask. I mean, while I'm sure Trent would remember me from San Diego, since he looked right into my eyes and touched me in my secret place with his mojo, obviously, I have to wait until he falls in love with me and we have a magically beautiful relationship to peel the sweaty clothes off his tiny little muscular body one by one, and give him the tongue bath he's begging for and so richly deserves.

I can wait.

Which brings me to my second point: Trent Reznor is SO GODDAMNED HOTT.

Do I have to spell it out for you?

None of this really matters. Trent is TRENT! I mean, Gabriel, get a hold of yourself! One minute you're drinking Trent's jizz from the chalice, after seeing light stream down from heaven in San Diego, and the next, you're hating harder than the most dedicated ETS blowhard. Please. Like you wouldn't PAY Trent Reznor to fist fuck you?! OF COURSE YOU WOULD.

Get a grip, for the love of God!

And, Trent? Just realize that even if Gabriel is a jackass, I am still your destiny.

Love,
Dierdre

Posted by Gabriel in inside_dierdre | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference [Two_Salient_Points]:

Comments

It's blind little lovelorn lemmings like you, D, that Trent is counting on to line his coffers with this new Spiral plan of his. Which is what makes it all the more heinous.

Line up, little piggy, line up. Line up and suck down every last fucking drop. Now doesn't it make you feel better?

Posted by: Gabriel | Jun 20, 2005 12:08:42 PM

You know what, Gabriel? IT DOES MAKE ME FEEL BETTER. I want to drink every last drop! Also, I am happy to line his coffers.

Just because you're a bitter, conflicted, gothemo fairy doesn't mean that conscious decisions are not being made by the rest of us. Go ahead and let Trent's business plans wind you up like the little lemming YOU are, but you are just full of so much HOT AIR.

Posted by: Dierdre | Jun 20, 2005 12:13:30 PM

I'm sure Trent thanks you for your support, Dierdre. Right from the very bottom of his brand new BMW.

Posted by: Gabriel | Jun 20, 2005 1:41:35 PM

You're so predictable, Gabriel. So what if he has a brand new BMW? What does that have to do with the holy authenticity of his art, or whether or not he deserves our love, pure, unalloyed and true? Because, HE FULLY DOES. Have you not heard "All The Love In The World"? That shit is gorgeous.

Maybe you should start listening to fucking PEARL JAM or whatever the latest in pure virtue is. I'll just get back to dirty, complicated little Trenty-liscious.

Posted by: Dierdre | Jun 20, 2005 2:48:10 PM

The only thing predictable are people like yourself, D, who refuse to say nary a word against a rock star because in your head you've imbued him with some sort of pure, holy essence.

Basically: as long as it's Trent doing the fist-fucking, I don't mind. I like it in the back of brand new BMW's., you said, and this is exactly the problem. Your reaction has absolutely nothing to do with the issues at hand -- it's only a knee jerk reaction that your Idolatry Complex requires for its own survival.

Yes, I've listened to "All the Love in the World," but I've also listened to "The Hand That Feeds" -- and all Orlando Bloom connections aside, the song is also about questioning the power structures around you. Just like "Head Like a Hole", "Last", and the ENTIRETY of the downward spiral. You're ignoring the message the man once spread to preserve your own desperate need to worship. Well I believe in the music and the art, something MT Reznor has apparently left behind.

Go hang out at ETS more. They seem more your sycophantic speed these days.

Posted by: Gabriel | Jun 20, 2005 3:25:52 PM

Gabriel, I'll say a word against him. Watch: HE HAS TOO MANY FUCKING MUSCLES. There. Are you happy?

The person who's imbued him with some holy essence and whose idolatry complex is struggling for survival is you and yours, and it's you whose reaction has nothing to do with his art, which is stronger than ever, and definitely has NOT been left behind. Your need for Trent to fit some preconceived, virtuous ideal is what makes you so fucking bi-polar when it comes to His Majesty, because he doesn't conform to your expectations - the ones you think have something to do with truth, justice and authenticity.

Basically, it's all bullshit, and my response is ONLY to him and to his art. His work is gorgeous. He is a gorgeous creature. Nothing extraneous, like a FAN CLUB, can alter the truth of what he is and has done.

The bullshit bourgeois value system that would begrudge Trent a new BMW and a new path to income is a power structure, too, jackass. Question it.

Meanwhile, there's no power being exerted over you as regards the fan club because YOU DON'T HAVE TO FUCKING JOIN IT.

ETS is all about haters. I think you fit in just perfectly with those bitches. I, I'm proud to say, obviously don't.

Love,
Buttplug

Posted by: Dierdre | Jun 20, 2005 3:46:05 PM

I agree with Dierdre.

Posted by: minion | Jun 20, 2005 4:12:24 PM

The truth is Trent is an old man who is embarking on a stage of his life where everything -- including the usage of his previous works -- is geared towards one simple thing: financial gain.

Is he allowed? Of course. Does it alter my life significantly? Not at all. Does it start to make his current tour, where he plays the songs about rejecting such types of gain and pursuit as if he really means them for what they originally meant, seem like a contrived and hypocritical farce? You bet.

I'll be looking for "wish" to show up on the next Urban Outfitters commercial. I wouldn't want to begrudge Trent making a dime, now would I?

Ultimately nothing will change for me, Dierdre, you're right. I'll just stop listening. My God is dead. And no one cares.

Posted by: Gabriel | Jun 20, 2005 4:14:00 PM

Whatever, bitch. You'll listen. You won't be able to resist. God is stronger than you think.

Trent makes his living as a rock star. He feeds his own soul (and mine) as an artist. Do those two things intersect in millions of difficult, complicated, sometimes unclean ways? FUCK YES. But, I guess that's a much more difficult balance than your black and white world can encompass, Gabriel.

Trent's art is as gorgeous as it ever was, if not more gorgeous. Can songs he wrote 15 years ago possibly come out of his mouth now with the same meaning they had then? OF COURSE NOT. Does that make them a farce? OF COURSE NOT. Trent once rejected everything impure, you're right; and it nearly killed him. Now he has to accept an aggregate state, because he wants to live, and that includes making a buck. Should he be allowed to do that? Fucking hell! Of course he should.

What Trent is doing now lacks the simplistic purity of what he once did, but that only makes it more interesting.

My point: I am fucking IN FOR THE LONG HAUL. I trust his artistic soul, and his heart of darkness. He could no more betray them, than he could turn into a pig and fly. His essence has NOTHING to do with a fucking fan club or any business decision. He is pure. He's wearing your disease.

Posted by: Dierdre | Jun 20, 2005 4:26:51 PM

I wish Trent woulda died like Ian Curtis. At least then he would have stayed cool.

Kurdt was right. It's better to burn out than to fade away.

Posted by: Gabriel | Jun 20, 2005 4:32:05 PM

BLASPHEMER!!!! I HATE YOU!

Posted by: Dierdre | Jun 20, 2005 4:33:03 PM

Gabriel, you are SO WRONG, and Dierdre is SO RIGHT. That's right, hater. BURN.

Posted by: minion | Jun 20, 2005 5:44:56 PM

Hi guys, I just stumbled on this site and just have to say something. I'm a newbee in the NIN comunity. I just got to know them and Trent only last year but I really was fascinated by the pureness, genuineness, uniqueness and beauty of the songs and of Trent as a creature.
But with this fanclub-thing and also somehow with the promotion of the WT(don't take me wrong, I love the album, but it doesn't sound so pure and unique to me), I begun to consider, if this all isn't just a marketig tool to earn money...

Posted by: Linduš | Jun 21, 2005 9:07:57 AM

Thanks for jumping in, Lindus, and I'm glad you found us!

I couldn't agree with you more -- my problems with Trent '05 aren't one single thing like the fan club or the t-shirt quality or the tour song selection... it's an overall feel, with small indicators in every facet of what Trent does. And though I think WT is a great record, it just smells like one made for money.

Posted by: Gabriel | Jun 21, 2005 9:49:24 AM

I cannot believe what a traitor you are, Gabriel. I saw Trent not even a month ago, and he was SO still the same man I've always loved to death, with music every bit as heartfelt as it ever has been.

You are so fucking wrong right now. I don't think I can even LOOK at you.

Posted by: Dierdre | Jun 21, 2005 1:30:02 PM

pure comedic gold, folks. let me know when your official fan club is up and running. i'm so first in line.

Posted by: K-Lo | Jun 21, 2005 2:49:51 PM

Thanks, I'm glad I found you, too!
my opinion is the same, it's like the deepness as the whole was lost. i don't know if you understand, but all the previous records, they were like you could heare them milion times and you always found something that run deeper, what was hidden from you before.
But with WT there is a layer, which prevents you to continue exploring...
But I think these kind of conversation doesn't bring anything, it's pure speculation and I don't want to insult anybody, everyone has his own feeling about it...

Posted by: Linduš | Jun 22, 2005 12:11:20 AM

Lindus,

You're right that everyone finds what its in them to find in something like Trent's music, but I am finding With Teeth to be just as deeply layered. I've listened to it spproximately 7943 times since I downloaded it a month before it came out, and I am still finding new things in it this week - it is revealing itself to me more slowly than some of Trent's other work, and I think there's a way in which it's a more difficult thing to get to the bottom of - less CLEAR than he's ever been. Trent has replaced darkness and focused rage with something even more uncomfortable, in a sense: ambivalence. This is a record about finding a path, and I think he's still looking.

I guess what I'm saying is that Trent's new record is different, but like everything he's ever done, it's coming from a place in him that simply cannot be inauthentic. There is no business or PR decision that can touch the soul of his work, and his business entity can start all the fanclubs in the world -- I agree that it's kinda stupid -- but Trent Reznor still has my confidence.

Love,