« [Which_Avril_Is_Hotter] | Main | [Maise>Avril] »

2007.06.17

[Ban_the_Man]

I don't know about you, but I've HAD IT with this Avril Lavigne shit. She's "okay" but it's time to get back to what made this site great...YOU KNOW WHO I MEAN. Besides, I've received something VERY COOL in the WTC inbox and simply must share.

Although The Old Man's been really quiet lately, it seems he's been making a LOT of progress on the Year Zero movie. He's been working extensively with visionary auteur Terry Gilliam and some very impressive A-LISTERS. Here's a sneak preview, just for WTC readers...

Posted by Iris in iris_gushes | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference [Ban_the_Man]:

Comments

Iris, this is just about the most brilliant thing EVER. (Well, if Terry Gilliam is involved, *of course* it is!) Anyway, you are a GENIUS, and I love you.

Too bad they had to make Neil Czerno white, but you know how it is with those A-listers...

Posted by: maise | Jun 17, 2007 9:03:48 PM

That trailer perfectly underscored how UNORIGINAL the OLD MAN's narrative is.

Hey OLD MAN, I loved YZ when it was called 12 MONKEYS. Terry Gilliam called and wants his story back.

Posted by: Angelman | Jun 17, 2007 9:31:15 PM

Whatever Angelman. What this trailer shows is how wonderfully Year Zero would work as a movie soundtrack which is what the Old Man had intended for it to be from the start. The idea of the end of the world by our own hands may not be completely original but how it was delivered via the ARG was. Never before have the end of the world scenarios been so interactive. You're not spoon fed the "political" ideas, you have to look for them yourself and if you don't want to look well then Year Zero is still a great album to listen to without all that. I mean how can you guys not see that?

Posted by: Iris | Jun 17, 2007 9:49:58 PM

Iris -

I doubt there was even ONE person who bought YZ that was moved to do anything vaguely activist. People (myself included) are dumb and usually need very literal and specific things to get stirred into action.

I think that the posts by the readers of this site illustrate the underwhelming effect that album had if its intention was to drive them to action.

As for the album... well when I went to amoeba records tonight and asked where I could get a copy the clerk said it was filed under "crap rock" I think that it a little severe - but the point was well made.

Posted by: Angelman | Jun 17, 2007 10:05:13 PM

Nice to see that Jack Black's character from High Fidelity was able to get another record store clerk gig in LA.

Meanwhile, Iris's BRILLIANT video *does* demonstrate that the concept is rather derivative, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a kick-ass soundtrack to that movie.

Posted by: maise | Jun 17, 2007 10:48:44 PM

I don't think you can make such a broad generalization that Year Zero has not moved a single person. It's true that we live in a lazy world where we'd rather argue points of activism on a NIN message board than actually get off our duffs but I think it got a whole lot of people open to listening and looking around a bit, even if it's just enough to say "okay, what's next?" But there have been many ideas/scenarios in the ARG world that are relatable to our current state of things and that might be enough to get some people moving.

Has it moved me to become active in anything more than I already was involved with? No, but I am still waiting for part two (or three even, if it goes that far) before I classify this as a failed, crap rock album, which I likely never will because I already love it so much with or without its intended message.

The saying goes that you should not judge a book by its cover but I also think you should not judge a story that has not been finished.

Posted by: Iris | Jun 17, 2007 11:02:54 PM

Well, all joking/snark aside - I do think that with the current state of things, "scenarios in the ARG world that are relatable to our current state" just isn't good enough. We need real voices and leadership - not derivative blah.

As for the album... (bear with me here) I am a HUGE Danzig fan, in all his gloriously goofy glory. The band is so far from relevant/good now but I still buy his records out of a sense of loyalty and even though I am lucky if there are two decent songs on his later albums... I still buy.

Anyway - He just released an album of all the tracks that never made it on to an album, starting with 1988's self-titled "Danzig". And the songs from those early days (that were not good enough to make it on the album) ARE SO MUCH BETTER that anything he has done in the last 13 years. That's how I feel about OLD MAN. If he released tracks (not-remixes) that had never been heard from his 1989-1995 era it would underscore how craptacular YZ is. In your heart YOU KNOW THAT IS TRUE.

Gabriel - go to iTunes and dl "PAIN IS LIKE AN ANIMAL" from THE LOST TRACKS OF DANZIG right now - you'll be glad you did. It's very D-Zig 4p.

Posted by: Angelman | Jun 17, 2007 11:28:15 PM

I dunno, when I'm really into an artist (of whatever kind), I like to keep looking forward. I like to see what they're coming up with next, even if when you look at it critically, it's "not as good as" their work from the past.

Terry Gilliam is an excellent example. My all-time favorite director, but he can be difficult, he can make excuses, he tends to point fingers at "The Man" when he runs over budget or runs into other problems. I have not yet seen Tideland, because it was in theaters for half a minute, but I wouldn't say that The Brothers Grimm was better than The Fisher King, Brazil, or 12 Monkeys.

But you know, I always want to watch him evolve. Of course, I'd enjoy watching some "lost" Gilliam film, but I'd be sad if that's all that were left. I want him to be behind the camera when he's 85, even if he's batshit crazy at that point because I always want to know what's in his head, what beautiful images he's dreaming up, and what amazing performances he can coax out of his actors.

That's how I feel about The Old Man. I always want to hear the music that's in his head. And that's the direct opposite of my feelings about Avril. Silence is golden, sk8er grrrl.

Posted by: maise | Jun 18, 2007 12:03:11 AM

That was awesome Iris.

If there really is a movie in the works wouldn't it be freaky to have Samuel L Jackson play Neil Czerno instead of the guy from the ARG (who really reminds me of Samuel)?

Actually if there is a movie I'd rather see a lot of unknown actors instead of going for the A-list stars.

I haven't really followed the ARG much...Is Trent written into it?

Does he play some role other than in the video for Survivalism/the OSR footage?

Posted by: The Bitch | Jun 18, 2007 12:39:15 AM

Dudes, I am just confused here. Why is there a film featuring "12 Monkeys" with YZ music featured on our website? I mean, "12 Monkeys" was awesome, and YZ is kind of less awesome than the Terry Gilliam film in that it's not do fully realized, and doesn't tell any cohesive story, but it's good and I like it, but I just don't get this random video. I am confused. What is this about?

Posted by: Dierdre | Jun 18, 2007 2:16:03 AM

Well if you'd prefer to continue with the "Which Avril is hotter" posts, Dierdre, then I'm sure Gabriel will comply but this video is featured here to show a little bit of what Year Zero might be capable of when paired with an awesome movie. This is just to try to convince the ones that think Year Zero's a failure as it is now, which is not how I feel.

Posted by: Iris | Jun 18, 2007 4:56:49 AM

Well, maybe this post needs to be broken down into some mathematical formulas:

Nameless One talking about movie + A-listers = Pretentious + ripe for parody

Fake trailer with A-listers + 12-year-old movie = ha ha

Fact that Year Zero "works" with 12 Monkeys in a "Dark Side of the Rainbow" way = cool

But, yeah, by all means, let the Avril discussion continue. Good thing I'm going to be slammed at work today.

Posted by: maise | Jun 18, 2007 5:49:23 AM

This is what it looks like for WTC to be grasping at straws.

Posted by: JR | Jun 18, 2007 6:14:53 AM

Yet you continue reading, JR. Go figure.

Posted by: iheartavril | Jun 18, 2007 6:48:58 AM

Oh, and to The Bitch?

The Old Man was involved in the ARG...he was imprisoned for all his subversive ways. Plus, the resistance movement folks who were sending all this information back into the past were sending back snippets of his music, which HE HADN'T EVEN WRITTEN YET...dunh dunh dunh...

Oh, and anyone on ETS or The Spiral is on some government watch-list and has met various grim fates. (Including our Iris, who is going to be imprisoned...hope you get The Old Man as a cell mate!) Good thing we're grasping at straws over here at WTC because we seem to have escaped surveillance.

Posted by: maise | Jun 18, 2007 7:40:07 AM

Iris, you rock. Don't listen to the haters. Your videos are always the bomb!

Posted by: Sam I Am | Jun 18, 2007 7:43:17 AM

Hmm, been getting annoyed at all the endless jibes about Year Zero from Angelman, - yeah well it's not like his beloved Dave Mustaine, now Mr Christian, is beyond the odd lyrical gaffe or two -
From 5 Magics
"Bestow upon me knowledge
Wizard - all knowing all wise
I want to rule this kingdom
Make sweet the breeze now defiled
Dethrone the evil prince's iron fists
In velvet gloves of sin
Parade the grey robed monks
The vestal virgins,wheel the wyvern's in
Let the ceremony
consecrate the marriage
Let me be the protege
Of five magics"

Derivative?

Posted by: Lurker | Jun 18, 2007 7:59:42 AM

I'm not being a hater, dudes, I just felt a bit blind-sided by seeming non-sequitur. I was wondering if there was anything TRENT REZNOR related that prompted this pairing with "12 Monkeys". It confused me... like that lemur thing, that one time.

And Gabriel? You will not fucking ban me, bitch. I will mention my RAISON D'ETRE anytime I fucking want.

Fuck you.

Posted by: Dierdre | Jun 18, 2007 8:02:45 AM

OH SHIT.

I am gonna aggrivate the hell out of everyone around me until this film hits theatres.

Posted by: KittyKins | Jun 18, 2007 9:32:02 AM

Because now you've made it obvious that it needs to be a movie and I'm gonna fucking freak out until it happens.

Posted by: KittyKins | Jun 18, 2007 9:33:57 AM

Well, the casting of Bruce Willis as The Old Man was certainly inspired. I hear he, too, has a thing for the younger ladies.

Posted by: JR | Jun 18, 2007 10:12:28 AM

Lurker -

Thank you for proving my point.

The difference between my love for Megadeth and the reader's here love of OLD MAN is that I CAN ADMIT WHEN MUSTAINE IS INCONSISTENT OR RELEASES A BAD ALBUM. Albums like "The World Needs a Hero" or "Risk" ARE BAD ALBUMS. The song whose lyrics you quoted are the one set of bad lyrics on an otherwise universally critically and fan-loved albums "Rust in Peace".

I am perfectly willing to admit when Mustaine is inconsistent or when Megadeth releases a bad album - I JUST WISH THE FANS HERE COULD DO THE SAME with that PIECE OF SHIT know as YEAR ZERO.

Surely that isn't your best shot? Please - someone - anyone make a case why we should smash our copies of YZ?

Posted by: Angelman | Jun 18, 2007 10:32:47 AM

"shouldn't smah our copies" I meant

Posted by: Angelman | Jun 18, 2007 10:34:35 AM

Fuck it! I can't spell/type and work at the same time.

Posted by: Angelman | Jun 18, 2007 10:35:25 AM

Angelman, I've never read a post here where you've not said the sun shines out of Mustaine's arse - if I'm wrong correct me. Actually I love Rust In Peace and have seen Megadeth on many occasions (got their autographs from a HMV Manchester sign-in i early 90s)- OK when I first heard YZ I had reservations myself particularly the first few songs but then it grew on me more as I listened to it on my commute into work - got positively bone-chilling effects from Zero Sum, Another Version of the Truth / In This Twilight / and many more in particular - but then other songs I thought hadn't affected me were going round in my head like The Good Soldier so I just ended up listening to it all the time for a while and loved the whole effect of it - my main point with 5 Magics was that I love the music to that song but the lyrics were ludicrous and that an album doesn't have to get to you on EVERY SINGLE level, lyrically / musically etc for it to be inspiring to you and a GREAT album

Posted by: Lurker | Jun 18, 2007 11:05:53 AM