« [The_New_Goth_Times_Daily_Cross] | Main | [Ghost_Writer_Maise] »

2006.09.22

[Absorbing: With_Teeth]

I guess we all know how *I* feel about Sparklepant's teeth, but it seems that not everyone feels the same way. Yesterday, in his usual, tiresome, drive-by fashion, that bitch Gabriel Miller probably thought he was gracing us with these comments. YAWN. Some things never change, and by "some things", I mean Gabriel's pissy bitchery. That's what comes of sexual frustration, people.

Let it be a lesson to you.

Personally, I love [With_Teeth]. I listened to that shit EVERY DAY for the better part of A YEAR, and it never stopped being awesome. I have to admit that at this point, its position in my constant playlist has given way to other things, but that's only because I'm waiting for Daddy to get home, if you know what I mean...

But, WHATEVS. This is as good a time as any to give the Teeth another spin, don't you think? The rules are as usual: do not just GO OFF HALF-COCKED, here. Give it a fresh listen, and give it your full attention, and then, post your thoughts here. At the same time, let's consider the question of why it's so damned hard to look another person in the eye and say, "No, seriously: NIN is my favorite," because, have you noticed? For those not already subject to the fucking tractor beam that is Trent Reznor's dog and pony show, it's a pretty fucking hard sell. Why do you think that is?

And, Gabriel? Why don't you go wallow in your many livejournal fansites and "deconstruct" some more NIN songs or something, instead taking a once bi-monthly dump on WTC to dress up your subjective, psychologically obvious/Oedipal assessments of Trent's records in the bullshit cloak of authoritative objectivity.

Goddamn, your act is old.

Posted by Dierdre ~ in absorbing | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference [Absorbing: With_Teeth]:

Comments

Well, we all know how *harsh* and *judgmental* and *unforgiving* Gabriel is when people don't meet his *inflated* and *unrealistic* expectations.

That being said, on a deeply personal level, WT is probably one of the most--if not THE most significant albums I have ever heard. Whether I'm happy or merely okay or going through some heavy shit, I can always relate. Even though I'm not recovering from addiction. This album has been a security blanket during the most challenging and frightening period of my life thus far, and it's still in *heavy* rotation during my daily commute.

I can see Gabriel's point about certain songs sounding the same, but to me, the lyrics are revealing so much and they're saying things to me that I so need to hear, that I don't really mind. Trent's not the only collector out there...

Posted by: maise | Sep 22, 2006 10:21:24 AM

I agree with Maise. I am more of a lyrical person myself. I appreciate music, obviously, but lyrics are what hit me the most. I do see repetion in Trent's songs, but isn't that what he's known for? I mean it's not like the Fragile doesn't have the same sounds throughout.. that was the point.
The way I see it, WT as a whole is a ''rise above the shit'' kind of album. So in order to express that some sounds will be expressed repeatedly. If you look at the actual song with teeth it's a perfect example. It starts out at a normal level of volume then it becomes so soft that you have to crank it up to hear it, and then if you have to turn it down lower than you had it at the beginning to not be blown away by the end of the song. I think that represents how at first things were going ''ok'' and then he lost everything he ever had and became very vulenrable and lost ergo he then became weak--softer singing.. and then at the end when he's singing louder than ever, it's to represent how he's overcome everything and is now 10x stronger. That's my take on it anyway.
So the repetition in the songs could be symbolic of the ''battles'' he has had to deal with throughout and each song is sending a message. And maybe in the songs that sound the same, it was a similar battle being faught.

There's my 2 cents worth.

Posted by: heather | Sep 22, 2006 12:35:46 PM

uh oh -- somebody talked bad about Trent Reznor! Here goes Dierdre to save the day!

Whatevs, D. Half of With Teeth sucks, and the readers pretty much admitted it already. Just cause they can "dance like a retard", mocking a song's crappiness, doesn't make it good.

And just cause you like to listen to bad records every day of every year means that, well, you like to listen to bad records every day of every year.

Feel free to throw some more of your "psychologically obvious/Oedipal assessments" bullshitese water on the fire of my truth baby -- it won't change the simple fact that Half Of The Songs On With Teeth Are Skippable.

Nine out of ten WTC readers agree.

And my fansite is turning a little ugly lately -- the fan has kinda fucked me over -- so I've enlisted new management -- reader CombatRock has been given the go-ahead to start the new home for GabeFuckers, Inc.

And thanks for reading, D.

Posted by: Gabriel | Sep 22, 2006 2:06:45 PM

You'd better make that 8 out of 10 WTC readers because *I* don't agree with you.

Oh, and here would be an excellent place for you to talk in a nicer tone to your manager. You're walking on THIN ICE, Liebchen.

Posted by: maise | Sep 22, 2006 3:07:03 PM

MANAGER? MANAGER?????????????????

You mean the mutt that supported my absolute betrayal here????????

You are a part of the rebel alliance and a TRAITOR, Maise. The only person on thin ice is YOU.

Fuck, man. I don't even ice skate.

Posted by: Gabriel | Sep 22, 2006 4:14:11 PM

O.M.G.

Traitor? What are you--Ann Coulter now???

Remember when we got the last room in the worst motel just outside of Little Rock, Arkansas, and I let you have the bed, and I slept on the cockroach-infested floor?

Remember when I punched out that Subway cashier in Portland, Oregon when he wouldn't accept your coupon?

Remember when I talked that creepy ER doctor out of using the rectal thermometer on you when you thought you had pneumonia in Grand Island, Nebraska?

INGRATE.

Oh, and the Rebel Alliance were the good guys, Anakin.

Posted by: maise | Sep 22, 2006 4:19:20 PM

Maise, I tried to tell you this before but you were too busy chatting up your nucca friend on your laptop at the time: I WANTED THE DOCTOR TO USE THE RECTAL THERMOMETER.

For a ghost who can go anywhere, you certainly don't see much.

Posted by: Gabriel | Sep 22, 2006 4:25:56 PM

Maisedawg, please don't upset Gabriel any further. He's been through enough already.

Posted by: combatrock2006 | Sep 22, 2006 4:55:11 PM

Oh jesus! Now they're coming over here too!?!
GAH.

Posted by: KittyKins | Sep 22, 2006 6:23:40 PM

This whole thing is out of control. Something has to give

Posted by: heather | Sep 22, 2006 8:07:19 PM

I WANTED THE DOCTOR TO USE THE RECTAL THERMOMETER.

Gabriel, this just proves that your ass needs me to save you from YOURSELF.

You want to engage in some ass play? Fine. Don't do it in an ER, though. It will cost you $30,000 and is unlikely to be covered by insurance.

Oh, but that's *managerly* advice.

ANYWAY, getting back ON TOPIC.

To address one of Dierdre's questions, it's very hard to sell people on NIN. I tried very hard to convert two friends when Trent was touring because I wanted some concert buddies. One of them I was able to indoctrinate into obsession (she's always been a goth at heart, and Trent is just fucking HOT)...the other, I swear to God, fell asleep in the middle of the concert. Okay, she has some narcoleptic tendencies, but still! I asked her, "Couldn't you fall asleep during Queens of the Stone Age?" Oh well.

When a performer brings the anger and the angst, I think a lot of people just dismiss it as melodrama and don't want to pay it any more attention than it is given on MTV when it is declared "buzzworthy." We of course know that there is much, much, much more to NIN than just the anger and the angst, but people hear "Closer" and feel that they've made up their minds. I think most people don't want to show the kinds of emotions Trent devotes so much attention to. They don't want to admit to weakness. They want to appear more well-adjusted and functional than your average goth. Or at least I get that impression when I'm listening to NIN in the car with my older, conservative brother, and he says something like, "So he's still into the whole 'anger' thing, isn't he?"

Posted by: maise | Sep 22, 2006 9:48:46 PM

Whatever Gabriel. You’re misinterpreting what I’m saying about the “dance like a retard” thing. I don’t do that because I’m mocking the song or because I hate it; I do it because I dance like a retard to all NIN songs. Just that one in particular allows me a specific move for the moment. Kind of like when MOTP is playing I can’t help but to do that same upward fist pumping move that Trent does or do a stutter step all my own across the living room to the beat of Only.

And the songs that I sometimes skip aren’t necessarily because they’re bad songs overall. It’s just that the beginnings don’t draw me in. That could be related to what you said about their instrumentation and arrangements being very similar. Once I get past the first bit, generally past the minute mark, I do like the songs and will sing along. There’s even times in the car that if I don’t see any nearby pedestrians I’ll just work the ole iPod to fast forward to the “good parts”. They’re not like ATLITW where I savor every bit of the song leading up to that gorgeous piano breaking in. On first listen I wasn’t that enthused but man oh man, when that piano comes on I thought it was the most beautiful thing I’d ever heard and had a smile from ear to ear, which still busts wide open when I play that one.

The reason that I have a hard time looking eye to eye saying that I’m a NIN fan is because of that gloom-n-doom image that Maise spoke of on the other thread. People seem to either know nothing of NIN or they think they know it all, which in my opinion can be worse, so when I say “I’m a huge NIN fan” I have actually been scoffed at. I don’t know if it’s because of Trent’s new sound (which has drawn ridicule with every album) or if it’s his new body image or if it’s because they just don’t think I look like I should be a fan of what they perceive as the gloom-n-doom. But to that I can only say “yeah you heard me right I’m a fan, what of it?” and move on. Not everyone’s music tastes are the same and I can’t help it when the rest of the world chooses shitty music.

Posted by: Iris | Sep 22, 2006 10:21:39 PM

I can't even express in words of the English language how tiresome Gabriel and his fucking whores are, so nevermind. Also, if you all could have seen his paroxyms of joy when [With_Teeth] came out, you'd know how FUCKING HILARIOUS Gabriel's overinvested hate is now.

Meanwhile, I haven't had the chance to follow my own rules and actually LISTEN to the Teeth again before commenting, so I'll hold my fire for now, and just give you all a link to a little something I found while checking for the latest in some of the dankest, most horrible corners of the Ninternet.

Good news, no?

Posted by: Dierdre | Sep 23, 2006 1:16:59 AM

Oh, and just FYI, all you literature fans, today is F. Scott Fitzgerald's birthday, and he once wrote something pretty pertinent to our subject here, both the subject of Trent, and of why it's so mortifying, sometimes, to say you love him: "What people are ashamed of usually makes for a good story."

I think that fairly frequently, and very unfortunately, there's a link between shame and truth.

Posted by: Dierdre | Sep 23, 2006 3:25:11 AM

Oh my god Dierdre--forget discussing With Teeth, let's change the thread to discussing that little clip. Whew. Though I think I actually laughed out loud at the footage of the gorilla jumping across a stream (that wasn't at the show I was at...)--a little ironic, don't you think?

But wow. How many more days till early 2007?

Posted by: JR | Sep 23, 2006 7:43:51 AM

Yeah, I think when it said "2007," what they really meant was "9/24/06"...right?

Sigh. I really can't wait for this.

But I don't think I can bear to look at those concert videos one more time.

Oh, it *would* be F. Scott Fitzgerald's birthday today.

Posted by: maise | Sep 23, 2006 9:17:39 AM

That little clip reminds me of something my boyfriend said to me recently, seeing how bummed I was at my friend's wedding (I won't go into the particulars). We were walking on a bridge over a little stream on our way to the reception, and he grabbed my shoulders and got all melodramatic, saying:

"Don't jump, Em! Nine Inch Nails will go on tour again!"

As silly as he was and as short as that clip is, it still makes me feel better.

And I have not yet done the homework.

Posted by: emerald527 | Sep 23, 2006 10:33:03 AM

oh my god, my musicians are CONSPIRING TO KILL ME WITH EXCITEMENT. First Rogue and his new album and now that's coming out.

January is gonna be the death of me, I swear it. I'm gonna have a coronary of joy or something.

Posted by: KittyKins | Sep 23, 2006 1:16:18 PM

Holy Shit! ithinkijustcremedmypanties! Dierdre that clip you linked up to is awesome but you guys gotta check out the one on nin.com. I've fucking got goose bumps all over! I LOVE HIGH DEF!

I've got it downloaded and I'm going through that sucker frame by frame. Jesus that's gorgeous! And it’s set to my favorite song, bonus!

Posted by: Iris | Sep 23, 2006 8:29:02 PM

Who holds the record for most consecutive viewings? I think I watched it 7 or 8 times right in a row. But 37 seconds--is he trying to kill us?

It made think of something I read about the intimacy of watching a man masturbate and seeing what really pleases him and how watching a man play guitar is similar. The way that he holds the "instrument", the repetitive motion, the speed, the frequency, the tension...the expressions he makes.

And I realize that I need to floss.

Posted by: JR | Sep 24, 2006 7:59:57 AM

JR, do not join in him in trying to kill me, please. -shudders- Oh God.

Posted by: KittyKins | Sep 24, 2006 8:22:38 AM

I know, right? I could probably watch, oh, I don't know, about 30 hours of footage of him just playing guitar.

Posted by: JR | Sep 24, 2006 8:26:52 AM

Indeed.

Posted by: KittyKins | Sep 24, 2006 8:35:43 AM

Me too JR.. Just thinking about him playing his guitar, getting all sweaty, showing off his teeth, watching the veins in his neck pop out.. I could watch that allllll day everyday

Posted by: heather | Sep 24, 2006 12:54:57 PM

Sweet Jesus, yes. Yes! Yes!! YES!!!

Posted by: Dierdre | Sep 24, 2006 2:53:01 PM