« [Ch_Ch_Ch_Ch_Changes] | Main | [I'm_Baaaa_aaaaack!] »

2006.05.30

[WTC_Bookclub: Saul_Williams_Anyone?]

Dudes, I don't know about you, but I'm dying to read it.

I love Saul Williams's brilliant records, I love that he's getting his knobs twiddled by notre amour, and I love the possibilities for cross-pollination that there so abundantly are in that rich association. Bottom line? I don't want to be missing any part of the picture when two bitchin' dudes release two of the records I am most looking forward to in the whole world.

Are you in?

Saul's latest, The Dead Emcee Scrolls, looks good, and I'd be in, but I'm just going to throw my preference out there and say that I'd like to go back in time and read She, because I think it's about love, and relationships between women and men, and really, with regard to the Dead Emcees, I'm not sure I have enough of a relationship with Hip Hop to really GET it. I mean, I love me some Public Enemy, and think Chuck D should run for president 'n shit, but I'm hardly an expert with my finger on the pulse.

That said, I'm willing to be schooled. What about you guys?

Posted by Dierdre ~ in wtc_bookclub | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference [WTC_Bookclub: Saul_Williams_Anyone?]:

Comments

I vote for "She," as I am a sucker for love, and I too am not overly intimate with hip hop, rap, etc.

Dierdre, would you need me to send this to you?

Posted by: maise | May 30, 2006 11:09:51 AM

I'm still casting my vote for , said the shotgun to the head. (Because, for some reason, I like poking fun at my Catholic background whenever I can. What better way to do that than by reading a book about a modern-day John the Baptist ranting about the coming of a female Messiah?) But She could be fun as well.

I'm so glad you guys took my suggestion seriously. It's like I actually have a voice 'n shit.

Posted by: emerald527 | May 30, 2006 11:55:17 AM

Or Em's book suggestion sounds really good too. Either one is fine with me.

Posted by: maise | May 30, 2006 12:18:44 PM

*pops head in*

....

*sneaks away*

Posted by: | May 30, 2006 4:24:20 PM

(that was me by the way)

Posted by: Kim | May 30, 2006 4:24:55 PM

I am still reading Go Ask Ogre. I had to put it down for a while.( A little triggering for me.) I am determined to finish it. Eventually I would like to read the Dead Em Cee scrolls. I am not a fan of rap at all but I read an excerpt and I was really impressed with that. This WTC site is super addicting !!!

clara

Posted by: Clara | May 30, 2006 6:54:34 PM

So, Clara, are you in for Saul, or dedicating yourself exclusively to Jolene and Ogre?

Let me just say that I am totally raring to read ANY ONE of Saul Williams's books. I'd say my order goes like this:

1. She (for the reasons above)
2. Dead Emcee Scrolls (because it's the latest)
3. , said the pistol to the head. (sound fucking great, too)

and having given that ranking, I will be happy as can be with any one of them. However, Maise, the answer is YES, I will need you to send me one. I hope that's ok. As I said, I will repay you in trinkets from a faraway land, if you so desire...

Posted by: Dierdre | May 30, 2006 10:26:47 PM

From reading the reviews and excerpts for all three books I’m pretty excited. I could go for anyone of them. If I were on my own I’d rather start at the beginning with “She” and progress thorough his other works to see how he evolves.

But working backwards could also have its merits. I found this except from theDead Emcee Scrolls which is actually the introduction to the book (kind of lengthy). **in best Freudian voice** INTeresting, although, I have about zero knowledge about hip-hop culture.

And then I’m also partial to Em’s request to start with “, said the shotgun to the head” since she is the one that initially dropped this gem of an idea on us.

Haha…how’s that for answering a question without answering a question? =P

Posted by: Iris | May 30, 2006 10:28:31 PM

HA...even better timing to post right after Dierdre listed that order.

Posted by: Iris | May 30, 2006 10:30:01 PM

I'm down for any one of those books.

Posted by: Jane | May 30, 2006 10:36:16 PM

Yes, I'll be happy to send you a copy! You'll have to send me your address when you get a chance. Like I said, I'm fine with any of them. My order of preference would probably be as follows:

1. She
2. said the pistol to the head
3. Dead Emcee Scrolls

Posted by: maise | May 31, 2006 7:00:58 AM

Well, it looks like our votes are about the same as Maise's list: 3 votes for starting with "She", 2 for ", said the shotgun to the head", and everyone willing to read about the Dead Emcees.

We can always do another one later, but it looks like we should all start trying to track down a copy of "She".

Sound cool with you, troops (I use that word in keeping with Trent's new miliatry angle...)?

Posted by: Dierdre | Jun 2, 2006 3:09:04 AM

Works for me...I'll try to hunt down a couple of copies today or tonight...just send me your address, Dierdre, and I can get that to you!

Posted by: maise | Jun 2, 2006 6:43:49 AM

*salutes* In keeping with the military theme, is everyone now going to get ranks or something?

"She" sounds awesome. I was waiting for everyone to come to a decision about which book to go with before I went to ye olde Borders. Yay for reasons to leave the house.

Posted by: emerald527 | Jun 2, 2006 9:31:48 AM

Well I actually ordered my books a few days ago. It looked like “She” was going to be a definite winner and after reading the review that guy left on “, said the shotgun to the head” over there on the Amazon I couldn’t pass it up, so I bought it too. I’ll report back when I get them.

Hoo-yaa Master Chief! =P

Posted by: Iris | Jun 2, 2006 10:29:19 AM

Books received. Looks like it will be a sleepless night for me. How's everyone else coming along?

Posted by: Iris | Jun 7, 2006 10:03:55 AM

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on my copies today in person...if not, I'll have to order them tonight. Shit's been hectic in my neck of the woods.

Posted by: maise | Jun 7, 2006 10:14:42 AM

I got my copy last week, but I'm not cracking it open until I know everyone who wants to be on board is on board. That, and I'm reading Chuck Palahniuk's latest, Haunted. If only I hadn't slept in today, I could have gotten a ticket to hear him read tonight! *sigh*

Posted by: emerald527 | Jun 7, 2006 1:12:19 PM