« [Call_&_Response_#_9] | Main | [Dear_Trent_#_28] »

2006.01.12

[WTC_Bookclub,_Anyone?]

Oh my God, you guys! Someone stop WearingTheseChains from totally ruling ass!!

I just want to say, for the permanent record, that the haters can so blow me, because there is nowhere else on the web where you can discuss Nine Inch Nails with cooler, smarter, funnier people.

I mean, where else can you kick off with pubic rug styling to discuss the tension between authenticity and artifice as it manifests itself in the collected works of Sparklepants Reznor with a tie-in to the latest publishing scandals

I love you fucking guys.

I'd feel all G-A-Y for blowing our my own horn, if that's what I were doing, but I'm not; I'm blowing yours. WTC would never be what it is without you, so thanks. You totally rock. If Trent himself came around here and hated on us, I'd tell even him to FUCK OFF. Then I would tell him to get a fucking sense of humor transplant, because people, we rule.

Of course, I would still offer him all of my most devoted love in the next edition of [Dear_Trent]. I mean, "love is not love that alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove" am I right? Oh no, baby, it is an ever fixed mark that looks on tempests and is never shaken. I'll be bearing that shit out even to the edge of fucking doom, my friends. I'm not fickle.

ANYWAY.

All the book talk around here makes me think we should organize. Last week sometime, during the epic Lathe of Heaven discussion, Buttercup made a suggestion that I, personally, think is fucking awesome: WTC BOOKCLUB.

Here's my idea: first, who's in? Second, what should we read? Use this thread to ante up, and let me know your thoughts on what we should tackle. Once we have decided, we'll give it a week for everyone to get the book in question, and once we all have it, we can get started. Once a week, we'll have a WTC bookclub thread.

Sound fun? Let me know.

Oh, and Trent Reznor?

THAT GUY IS FUCKING HOTT!

Posted by Dierdre ~ in wtc_bookclub | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference [WTC_Bookclub,_Anyone?]:

Comments

I'm up for it! I wouldn't mind something that we've talked about on here...some Ursula Le Guin or JT Leroy. I don't know how people feel about reading something they've already read, but that's all new to me.

Posted by: maise | Jan 12, 2006 11:04:44 AM

I'm all in for it. I may not have much time to read but I'll make it work as best I can.

I would like to read some of the books that you guys have been talking about but I just purchased a book last week that I'm trying to get through. It's called Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. I’m only two chapters into it so I can’t tell how it’s going to go just yet. No spoilers please if you’ve already read it.

Posted by: Iris | Jan 12, 2006 11:27:24 AM

Well, obviously, I'm in. I would totally be down for reading The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula Le Guin, which reportedly, is winging it's way to me as we speak, or anything by JT LeRoy. It's new to me, too. I think it's only that crafty fucker Ms. Glyttr, that's read everything...

I know Buttercup would be in, too; but she's outta town for two weeks, alas.

Posted by: Dierdre | Jan 12, 2006 12:34:39 PM

Oh my GOD, I so have NOT read everything. I'm always on the edge of tears when I go to the bookstore or the library, because I just know I'm going to die without having read something completely brilliant. I actually get panicked about it. =(

I would be down for a discussion of Left Hand of Darkness. Seriously, it's in my top 10 faves of all time.

And just to add something new to our literary fondue pot... I've been wanting to read Johathan Lethem's The Disappointment Artist.

Posted by: Baal Glyttr | Jan 12, 2006 1:03:41 PM

That does sound really good.

Hey, I had a thought...where's Mimi?

Posted by: maise | Jan 12, 2006 1:11:10 PM

Starting a WTC Book Club would be like using WTC to write about Tom Cruise.

Posted by: Gabriel | Jan 12, 2006 2:48:07 PM

No, it wouldn't, because Tom Cruise is fucking boring, and stick a fork in him.

Plus, all aesthetic discussions come back to Trent when you're Dierdre Fucking Keating.

Blow me, hater.

Posted by: Dierdre | Jan 12, 2006 2:50:24 PM

All roads lead to Trent. Wouldn't a book club be better than a sewing circle or cake decorating lessons at least?

Posted by: maise | Jan 12, 2006 3:06:08 PM

I think How To Decorate A Trent Cake would be a pretty awesome feature, Maise -- you should draft one up and send it to D.

Personally, the last thing I want to have to bother with when I read a clever little entertaining corner of the web (such as WTC) is to have read a book to be on the same page as everybody else.

But I suppose since I've left as an editor of the site.... That's What I Get!!!!!

Posted by: Gabriel | Jan 12, 2006 3:29:32 PM

p.s. Your [Dear_Trent] link is broken, hon.

Posted by: Gabriel | Jan 12, 2006 3:30:31 PM

A Trent cake made by me would likely look pretty fucked up. Plus, I tend to get crumbs all in the frosting.

I'm sure that a book club thread wouldn't be the only madness going on on this site.

Posted by: maise | Jan 12, 2006 4:07:36 PM

dammit, maise, i'm being irrationally contrary in the interests of riling people up! Don't start talking sense, now!!!

Posted by: Gabriel | Jan 12, 2006 4:33:48 PM

Liebchen, talking sense is my idiom. Besides, you can be more provocative than *that*. Jesus.

Posted by: maise | Jan 12, 2006 4:38:10 PM

i'm totally in for a book club.
a trent cake would be delicious. the analogies would be endless... hehe

tori <3*

Posted by: Tori | Jan 12, 2006 5:55:01 PM

Okay, Pop Quiz Kids:

If your boyfriend/girlfriend/lover/sperm donor told you that all they wanted for their birthday was a "Cake of Trent Reznor", what kind of cake would you design, and why.....?

Posted by: Gabriel | Jan 12, 2006 6:32:07 PM

Pop Quiz? Does this imply that there is only one correct answer?

Posted by: Rachel | Jan 12, 2006 6:51:32 PM

Gabriel, you must miss Mimi and her culinary contributions. Isn't anyone feeding you out in L.A.?

First of all, I'd be a little disturbed if my husband asked for a Trent Reznor cake, but hey, I aim to please!

First you have to start with a Mississippi mud cake. Because Trent is dirrrrrrty on the inside. [hardy har]

Then, I guess I'd just try to do his face because really, I suck at cake decorating. In fact, I suspect that I'd have to make it in the somewhat pointillistic manner of covering the top of the cake with little stars. Cause I can do those. It would still wind up looking fairly retarded, I'm afraid.

So maybe I'd get more abstract and make the husband an "Into the Void" cake. Maybe I could do something like that.

Posted by: maise | Jan 12, 2006 7:19:05 PM

Bookclub List So Far:

Dierdre
Maise
Baal
Iris
Tori
Probably Buttercup

Possible Books So Far:
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin
Something by JT LeRoy
The Disappointment Artist by Johathan Lethem

Have I got everyone? Any other book suggestions?

Posted by: Dierdre | Jan 12, 2006 11:12:56 PM

This could be interesting, based on some of the stuff we've talked about...

Posted by: maise | Jan 12, 2006 11:39:02 PM

HI everyone, am new here but i thought that I'd suggest something for your book club. I remember reading that TR was well into clive barker (who happens to be my all time favourite writer) when he wrote 'sin' (which happens to be one of my all time favourite nin songs, what a coincidence...) so, anyway, i was thinking that you should read something by him. I was thinking 'The hellbound heart' because its short (i guess ppl might be preferring short books, i know i do...) and it totally ROCKS. Its actually the book of hellraiser but don't be put off cos its loads better (i think that CB should stick to what he's good at ie books but that's another matter). I totally guarantee tht if you haven't read it already then you'll be totally blown away by it cos its cleverer and scarier than the film and is probably one of the best horror books ever written. But if you don't like horror then please don't let that put you off cos its a much classier affair than most horror crud that's out there.

Posted by: Mel | Jan 13, 2006 12:44:07 AM

I prefer long, difficult, philosophical tomes, but I'm in, for whatever you guys decide.

Posted by: Jane | Jan 13, 2006 1:02:17 AM

I think I have mononucleosis. :(

Anyway, I guess I'm up for a book club. My participation just depends on if I can get my hands on the books or not.

Posted by: Kim | Jan 13, 2006 5:02:46 AM

Kim, I felt like I had mono from ages 13 to 18. It's all one gigantic, unhappy, groggy blur.

Mel, thanks for posting! I love horror, and I am so down with the Clive Barker, especially since he sucks cock. :) I'd be happy to read The Hellbound Heart.

I think we should make it a rule of the book club that no matter what we read, we always have to link up in some way with Trent's body of work.

Posted by: Baal Glyttr | Jan 13, 2006 6:36:46 AM

I'd be in...just have to insist on making time to read. Since I moved in with my now husband, seems like free time is at a minimum.....I miss having time to myself.

I think between the numerous bookstores (chains & campuses) and the net, we could pick interesting things that most could find.

Posted by: bex | Jan 13, 2006 7:14:31 AM

Fucking awesome idea, Mel.

In fact, if "Hellbound Heart" is up on the roster, consider this little Barker Boy down for round one of book club.

Cause let's face it -- you gotta respect the guy that Trent stole some of best lyrics from:

"Stale incense, old sweat and lies...." (from "In the Hills, The Cities", Books of Blood: Volume I)

Posted by: Gabriel | Jan 13, 2006 7:20:08 AM