« [Inside_Dierdre:
Unrequited_Love,_Part_3]
| Main | [Call_&_Response_#_8] »

2005.11.25

[Mimi's_Musings: Les_Hommes_du_Gingembre]

Salut mes cheries! It is with a heavy heart that I open my laptop to write to you today. For you see, just when I thought that everything was going roses dans la vie, the whole world was turned upside down on its head.

Tout le monde believes I am full of the hatred, but that is not indeed so. I am just very sad. I am sad that my heart has been broken, and someone whom I believed I could have trusted has abandoned me in the face of all adversity.

This whole situation began when we first learned that Dierdre was moving to Paris to marry her then beloved, Michel. Gabriel, whom I have had many battles with in the past with, was upset, hurt, betrayed. And so I tried my best to comfort him in the best way I know how, with words, wine and le bon repas. And it made him happy, and nice, and I believed that I was helping him to get over the hole that Dierdre had left in his heart.

But then Gabriel flew to France, dans le temps de la plupart de la violence, to rescue his friend from what he believed was not to be her destiny. Peut-être qu’il a raison, peut-être que non. I was left wondering what kind of man would sell his most prized possessions to fly over the moon for his copine and yet this man could not even spend the dix sous it would cost to send me a text message saying, ”Gone 2 France. Look after site. <3 G.” In return, the friend that is rescued thanked not Gabriel but a stranger, someone she will never meet, Trent Reznor, for making her see the sense.

I expressed my sentiments to Gabriel during a chat we had soon after he returned. I wanted to feel special again, and wanted him to feel special, too. Below is a portion of our chat:

Mimi: et oui it was formidable!

Gabriel: i don't know what that means, but it sounds AWESOME. glad you had fun

Mimi: formidable means very good

Gabriel: so many of the people on WTC talk shit about that kind of stuff, like I can't have any fucking interests other than Trank -- so lame. they're just missing out

Mimi: it makes me sad that Dierdre did not get married because of Trent

Gabriel: I don't know if it was because of trent exactly... i mean... it's not like michel was a good guy

Mimi: you are a good friend to her but I do not think she appreciates how good of a friend you are. I wanted you to know that I think you are un homme formidable

Gabriel: thanks. everybody's so bitchy sometimes, just talking about how hot trent is all the time (*yawn*), and I'm really glad you're on the site with something on your mind other than getting TR into bed

Mimi: parce que there is someone else I would like to get in my bed, mon cher. perhaps someone who is more, how you say, attainable

Gabriel: really...and what did you have in mind exactly?

Mimi: well, as you know, I have my Winter Break coming up from l'ecole, et I need a vacation. Perhaps I could come to California and you could show me around. I would make it worth your while, cherie. you know, i am a pauvre etudiante, and would need a place to stay.

Gabriel: i'll just be in a studio apartment. it might be a little cramped. but we can always share the bed

Gabriel: no funny business, of course

Mimi: there is nothing funny with what i have in mind, cherie. I take these things very seriously

Gabriel: oh yeah? what would you do? turn me into a little french desert for your dining pleasure?

Mimi: oh, mon cher, but of course I would cook for you. And then you can take apart the layers of my millefeuille

Mimi: very slowly

Mimi: because of course it is very creamy, sweet, and rich

Gabriel: sounds appetizing... but what if the batter was not properly mixed?

Gabriel: what if i had to... stir it for you?

Gabriel: i have many utensils. many naughty utensils

Mimi: oh cherie, there is no batter for millefeuille. It is very delicate pastry, with thin little layers of creamy sweet custard, and rich, dark chocolate. You really only need your tongue to take the layers apart. Oh and maybe one of your utensils.

Mimi: i can show you how if you are nervous at first because each millefeuille is different

Gabriel: i would start by licking the outside gently at first probing with my tongue, to taste the sweet custard inside

Gabriel: is that correct?

Mimi: ah oui...c'est correct! absolument!

Gabriel: or do you prefer if I softly suck at the layers, until the custard spills into my waiting mouth?

Mimi: oh mon dieu! that is perfect! that is

Mimi: oh CALICE DE TABERNACLE. Fuck. sorry, cherie

Gabriel: what?

Gabriel: do you not like the way i suck the custard??? what?

Mimi: my mother is calling me on the phone

Gabriel: YOUR MOTHER!!!

Gabriel: WTF?!?!!?

Mimi: sorry, cherie i must go. I will talk to you later. I'm sorry

Gabriel: tell her you'll call her back!

Gabriel: we're talking about eating pastries here, goddammit!

MimiJonesTaylor has gone offline.

You see, mes cheries, I have come to realize that men are not like pastries. Les pâtisseries will always give you pleasure and comfort and never disappoint. They will never call you horrible names because your mother calls you at in appropriate times. Les pâtisseries will always make you smile. You are never lonely if you are holding a pain au chocolat, and there is simply nothing sexier than a galette des rois.

It seems to me, mes cheries, that my many disappointments this year have come from les hommes. First of all, Michel – he was supposed to give Dierdre the happy-ever-after ending that we all long for in notre monde romantique, but he turned out to not be the man that we had hoped for our Dierdre. He disappointed her because he could not allow her to be herself within the confines of their relationship. The next disappointment to me has been, and I am afraid to say this, but I am more afraid if I do not say it, is notre amour. Trent has disappointed me because of the power he holds over us, in particular, Dierdre, maise, bex, my demi-soeur Buttercup, and many of the other-wise women of intellect who are reduced to nothing but drool buckets when they speak of him. But most of all and finalement, I am the most disappointed in Gabriel. Of course, I should have known better that he was nothing but a common, inhibited Anglophone male ever since he censored my artistic creation, but I always believed that I could help him to understand the ways of la beauté, les arts, et l’amour. And now that he has departed on this voyage without so much of a word to me, except for a very passif-agressif message in his final paragraph, I am left to pick up the pieces of my shattered heart and drown my sorrows in the only thing worth drowning them in, un bouteille de Ch. Pétrus 1964. Your chalice and concert ticket may have been worth the price of your friendship with Dierdre*, but you should not have devalued the friendship you could have had with me, which would have been of equal or greater value if you had given us the chance, mon cher.

*Airfare from LAX – Charles de Gaulle last minute – approx. $3000.00 USD. Value of Ch. Pétrus 1964 Pomerol in mint condition - $3500.00 USD.

Posted by Mimi Jones-Taylor in mimi's_musings | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference [Mimi's_Musings: Les_Hommes_du_Gingembre]:

Comments

It's going to be okay Mimi. Sorry you feel so let down. I think Gab. gets something in his mind, and just does it, without maybe thinking everything through (such as contacting friends personally to let them know what's going on??).

Here's a hug for you:

bex

Posted by: bex | Nov 25, 2005 6:39:51 AM

GOOD. GOD.

You know, this morning, I was feeling a bit disheartened at the numbers appealing on my bathroom scale, and I was wondering how I was ever going to have the will power to not eat all the fabulous sweet things laying around my apartment and calling my name hourly. Well, at least now I feel like I never have to eat another pastry again.

Yeesh.

Mimi, my dear, I like you. Like your vampire fan fiction. Like your sumptuous descriptions of food I shouldn't eat. Like your use of French cognates. I like it all. So, I'm saying this as a friendly aquaintance and perhaps even as a friend when I say, GET A GRIP.

This is Gabriel we're talking about, Schatzi. He can be moody. And sometimes he takes things out on the Wrong People. Sometimes he doesn't apologize for it later. Sometimes he doesn't even wish people a happy birthday before he takes off to parts unknown. But that's our Gabriel, our little Liebling Liebchen. I don't take it personally, and neither should you.

Believe me when I say that I would love to see you and Gabe hook it up because everything is much more pleasant around here when everyone is getting laid. I'm not really sure what you should do to win his heart and his biscotti, but I say, be strong. Don't show him your broken heart...keep your pastries behind a glass case until he learns to play nice. He will eventually do the right thing if you make a big crisis out of it. Meanwhile, if another baker catches your eye in the meantime...well, it's his loss.

Posted by: maise | Nov 25, 2005 7:22:16 AM

Um. I can't even think of anything to say.

Posted by: Kim | Nov 25, 2005 8:21:38 AM

I can't believe that I am the last remaining member of the writing staff here at WTC who carries the torch of love for Trent. Fucking hell, people. I cannot bear another moment of the hate.

Mimi, Maise is right: GET A FUCKING GRIP.

Posted by: Dierdre | Nov 25, 2005 10:09:56 AM

Honestly, this is what all the fuss was about? I'm with Gabriel on this one, sis...you left him hanging. Many's the time when I've been on the phone with you, IMing the night away. Or, you could have told mom to call back, instead of telling her off on the phone. She was really upset by the way. And you say we're self-absorbed? Look, I might have to love you because you're my sister, but since you're only my half sister (as you so eloquently stress above) I guess I only have to half love you then...

PS. Don't you DARE give away your secret millefeuille recipe, I don't care how much you're in love/lust/whateverthefuck with this guy.

Posted by: Buttercup | Nov 25, 2005 10:19:42 AM

It's all such a trainwreck, I couldn't even catch the typos in my reply.

I personally don't think I'm *that* much of a drool bucket for Trent, but you know, even if I am, there's no shame in that game.

Posted by: maise | Nov 25, 2005 10:21:03 AM

Jane needs to comment on this--FORTHWITH.

Posted by: maise | Nov 25, 2005 10:24:05 AM

PS. I still can't believe you drank the Petrus. I am in shock. At least I hope you had the good sense not to have it with a burger and fries at a local greasy spoon...

Posted by: Buttercup | Nov 25, 2005 10:24:38 AM

Oh. my. fucking. God.

Where can I begin? Firstly, being in any kind of an emotional state over an object as unstable and utterly not worth it as GABRIEL FUCKING MILLER just boggles my mind. Plus, this public airing of said emotional state, accompanied as it is by filthy pastry metaphors and non-sensical, somewhat desperate blame for wholly uninvolved third parties makes me feel like I need a scrub, you know, like after exposure to radioactive waste.

Jesus, Mimi. You seem so clever sometimes. Aren't you ashamed of yourself? And, another thing: why is it that you can write stories about Jerome Dillon sucking groupies bone fucking dry in perfectly good English, but can't seem to call a halt to your smarmy Frenchiness when you "muse"?

Girl, you need to get ahold of yourself.

Also: Bex, you're making me puke again. Mimi doesn't need a hug, she needs a smack upside the fucking head.

Posted by: Jane | Nov 25, 2005 10:38:01 AM

Oh, my. That chat session was painful to read. There's a difference between getting personal and possibly violating someone's privacy. And as to its content, I think I'm going to join Maise in swearing off pastries. Or any other food that could be fetishized. Just in time for the holidays!

Posted by: emerald527 | Nov 25, 2005 11:57:56 AM

Premierement, emerald, rien on the internet is truly prive. At any time, someone can interrupt your transmission, capture les informations, and keep it for themselves. Therefore, anything you say or do, either via IM, chat, e-mail ou n'importe quoi, is always publique. You should really read the fine print in your ISP agreement, cherie.

Deuxiemement, Jane, you ask why I can write stories in English but quand je fais la muse, I speak in Frenglish? It is quite simple. Comme vous savez, when a Francophone sings in English, comme Guesch Patti, la Dufresne, ou bien Les Rita Mitsouko, the singer does not have an accent. It is lost in the enrapturement of the art. Likewise, when I write mes contes, I lose myself totally in the moment and I write in English. Anyone who speaks more than one langage can understand this, et alors, I feel sorry for you in your unilingual existence.

Troisiemement, merci bex :). It is nice to know that someone out there is sympathetique to my problem. Unlike the people, including ma demi-soeur, who tell me to get the life. I assume that these people have never vented emotions to people just for the opportunity for someone to listen because you are so frustrated to have nobody to talk to about your situation because, comme elles ont dit, they must have the lives.

Et finalement, I am very happy if none of you are eating the pastries because that means more for me. Merci, cheries.

Posted by: Mimi | Nov 25, 2005 4:30:12 PM

That has to be one of the most fucked up things I have ever read on this site. Fucking ever.

Mimi, it's common knowledge around this site that Gabe isn't too stable when it comes to intimate relationships. Think this out before you ruin a friendship over it. Think about the guy you're upset about...

... it's Gabe and gabe being a bitch isn't exactly uncommon.

He's a drama queen. This will pass quickly. Don't let it ruin you inside.

Posted by: Nicole | Nov 25, 2005 7:08:09 PM

You know what, Mimi? Just because you weren't THERE when I thanked Gabriel doesn't mean I didn't. You aren't the center of the universe, you know.

Posted by: Dierdre | Nov 25, 2005 11:03:24 PM

I'm sorry kids but I'm confused. I thought this Gabriel was gay? He seems gay to me.....not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: Been There Done That | Nov 26, 2005 7:35:44 AM

Ah, chere Dierdre...que c'est la Pitie qui se moque de la Charite, n'est-ce pas?

Posted by: Mimi | Nov 26, 2005 1:15:26 PM

Che significa?

Posted by: maise | Nov 26, 2005 3:57:37 PM

You know, this is all fine and well, but we need to draw attention to this story and engage in some group prayer:

Rumor has it Depeche Mode will tour the U.S. in mid-2006 with Nine Inch Nails.

Are you there, God? It's me, maise. Please, please, please, please, please, please, please. Please align the planets; please do whatever it takes. And kindly ensure that my closest friends and I have tickets. You know, and world peace and cure diseases and all that. Thanks.

Posted by: maise | Nov 26, 2005 4:35:40 PM

Depeche mode and Trent!?

Fuck yeah!

I'm in on the group prayer, please god please!!!!

Posted by: Nicole | Nov 26, 2005 5:20:27 PM

You know, I was bored just now and I looked up the random stuff strewn about on the images from nin.com from a year or two ago. I already knew some of it was from The Lathe of Heaven, but then I looked up another of the random passages and I found this. It was just interesting to me that Trent was reading/researching things that have to do with dreams, remote viewing, supernatural stuff, and whatnot.

Posted by: Kim | Nov 27, 2005 12:09:01 PM

Can you point out exactly what you're getting at in that link, Kim? I've never read The Lathe of Heaven. Anyone who has... care to tell the peanut gallery what it's all about?

In other news: hellooooo...., someone is smokin' hot with his scrumptious, hairy sweatiness...

Posted by: Dierdre | Nov 27, 2005 1:39:04 PM

Well, if you do a word find, you'll see "bleed-through". The "quote", if you can call it that, that I looked up was "III. Time and causality paradoxes: causality on its head remote viewing 'bleed-through': what quantum puzzle is illusory, what is".

Here's a synopsis of the Lathe of Heaven.

Posted by: Kim | Nov 27, 2005 1:47:31 PM

Did you know?

Marilyn Manson and Trent Reznor of satanic band "Nine Inch Nails" had sexual intercourse.

I can't believe you haven't already alerted us to this situation, Dom.

Also, I know this will make you really jealous, Bex, but apparently "Marilyn's father used to carry a nude photo of Twiggy in his wallet."

Yeah.

Posted by: Jane | Nov 27, 2005 2:25:22 PM

Good Lord, Jane. Where on earth did you find that horrific site?

Posted by: maise | Nov 27, 2005 2:32:48 PM

No offense, but I think all the "Lathe of Heaven" references and links to pseudo-academic sites revolving around, among other things, "focused intentionality as a tool for shaping personal and social reality" were from Trent's ueber-pretentious phase.

Nice pics, D. That totally made my day. :)

Posted by: maise | Nov 27, 2005 2:37:25 PM

lmao Maise. You're probably right. Who knows. I'm interested in that kind of stuff because... it interest me. LOL. Yeah.

Posted by: Kim | Nov 27, 2005 3:31:18 PM