« [Things_I_Hate: The_Collector] | Main | [Nine_Inch_Reich] »

2005.09.02

[Tragedy_In_New_Orleans]

One of the disadvantages of being out of the country, and not really following the news from back home is that you sort of miss the fact that an entire beautiful city like New Orleans could be under water, and you might not have any idea how bad it was. That was certainly the case for me, until I clicked through a CNN photo gallery of the devastation today.

I'm sure you all know that Trent issued a statement to the effect that he, too, is feeling devastated, seeing his former home destroyed so throughly, and he urges us to help if we can.

The Red Cross is an excellent place to start, if you can donate money, or you can donate money for emergency food supplies at America's Second Harvest. There is also a drive for alternative housing for victims of the flooding in all effected states afoot via moveon.org, if that's something you can participate in. If I see any other ways to help, I will post them here, or you all can, in the comments.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Posted by Dierdre ~ in inside_dierdre | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference [Tragedy_In_New_Orleans]:

Comments

Network for Good has links to a whole bunch of different charities that are responding to the hurricane, including of course the Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity (probably about 100,000 houses are going to need to be rebuilt, at least), and the Humane Society (there's got be tens of thousands of abandoned pets out there...of course, people come first, but I think it's great that people are looking out for the animals too).

Posted by: maise | Sep 2, 2005 9:36:14 PM

The weight of all of this could seriously make a girl go crazy. Civilization and public order are a fucking eggshell. And we've allowed an American city--a cultural treasure--to turn into Lord of the Flies.

It's not just the flooding and the destruction--it's the inhumanity that's bred by desperation. It's the CRIMINAL neglect by our federal government. Can we *please* fire these incompetent assholes, already?

I will never forget this as long as I live. And I'm just a spectator in the Midwest. First 9/11, now this...what a shitty time to be in one's prime.

Sorry to be such a downer...I think that the average American will rise to the occasion with generosity. I am just so sick with anger right now...

Okay, I have *got* to take a break from hurricane mode...

Posted by: maise | Sep 2, 2005 11:38:36 PM

btw, boys and girls, Trent will be doing something or other (I believe the word they used was "partake") for the MTV telethon on September 10th. I hope that means a musical performance, and I hope that means that MTV won't put duct-tape over his mouth.

I'm sure Trent will have something "pertinent" to contribute, regardless. ;)

Posted by: maise | Sep 3, 2005 12:21:17 AM

The ONE Campaign (which is a great thing to be aware of anyway, if you're not) has a whole list of agencies that are involved in aiding the the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

There's also the International Rescue Committee, which is an organization that aids in the resettlement of refugees and displaced persons, and who are working to support emergency relief and resettlement efforts in Baton Rouge, which is roughly 80 miles from New Orleans, and is expected to double in population as more and more people who have been forced from their homes go there for refuge.

I'll add more if I see them.

Posted by: Dierdre | Sep 3, 2005 12:44:48 AM

Maise, I'm not seeing any of the pictures from New Orleans, but the reports are horrible. I don't really know what to say, actually. It's heartbreaking, and it makes me feel sick.

I will say this, though: Trent is nothing if not fully dedicated to pertinence. I wish him the best in achieving it now.

Posted by: Dierdre | Sep 3, 2005 1:02:26 AM

I also just wanted to reiterate Maise's mention of Habitat for Humanity with a live link.

As a onetime volunteer for that excellent organization, I want to just mention that they do so much incredible, deep good. They are a great organization to support, especially when so many impoverished people have been left homeless, and you can either donate money to help rebuild homes, or volunteer your time to actually help rebuild homes.

Posted by: Dierdre | Sep 3, 2005 1:19:37 AM

CNN also has a great list of ways you can help.

Posted by: Dierdre | Sep 3, 2005 4:09:58 AM

"I'm sure Trent will have something "pertinent" to contribute, regardless. ;)"

****thanks for the giggle..I needed that.

I look forward to seeing how Trent contributes..I know the guy has a big heart..and will do what he can.

I've been contributing to several charities and also to people I know directly affected. I told hubby..we need to do a bit more...we don't have a lot of money..and have piles of debt..but even if everyone gave several dollars...bagged up clothes from the closet that no longer fit..or volunteered to help in some way...it adds up.

I'm appaulled that things didn't happen quicker..the aid & evacuation of trapped folks...starving, thirsty, & sick.

Once we get the affected folks taken care of.....I vote that the next thing that needs to happen is an overhaul of how prepared we are for disasters in vunerable areas. Disaster are going to always happen..but being prepared & equipped is a must..and clearly there was incompetence upon incompetence that took place...lives have been lost..suffering has been great. I don't like seeing this anywhere in the world but for Christ's sake, this is supposed to be the wealthiest country in the world!!! Something is messed up here..and must be fixed!

Love & prayers to all affected.

I wish I'd hear from my friend again from Gulfport..I got an email from him Tuesday saying house gone, he was safe. Now, I have no way of getting back in touch with him unless he gets near a computer....and even if he gets near one..he's not going to have time to get on the internet....so I'm sending some love his way...and hopefully things will be okay for him.

Kudos to Houston and the state of TX for having a big heart..and a plan to get some help to the evacuees. I have a friend living in Houston...says the churches there are taking turns cooking for the evacuees and though she doesn't attend church...she will be giving them hand with that. Seems like the private groups have really stepped up as there is such a delay getting the federal & state help going. And the Red Cross isn't allowed inside of NO yet because of the danger there (this is heartbreaking).

I hate the way things are run in this country..but for the most part..this country is made up of caring compassionate people.

Thanks D. for posting links to charity sites. It's good to get as much info out as possible...as most do have a desire to contribute in any way they can.

hugs, bex

Posted by: bex | Sep 3, 2005 7:55:49 AM

We've taken on a lot of people here in Houston. I live in a suburb outside of Houston and even being 30 minutes away from downtown, in the last 4 days I have seen so many Mississippi and Louisiana license plates. I am so glad some of them got out while they did. My mom is getting 7 new students to her class next week, these are kids that are living with relatives that need to go back to school. Churches everywhere are taking anything they can get, blankets, food, baby formula and clothes. The local alternative radio station KTBZ raised almost $300,000 during their request-a-thon.

I still can't believe all this has happened. It feels like a bad dream. Nawlins was one of my favorite places in the world, some of the best times of my life I had there. I am so grateful that Houston stepped up and took on some of the refugees and I hope all works out.

Posted by: Kate | Sep 3, 2005 8:02:35 AM

I am still offended by the lack of response and the length of time it has taken officials to respond to this tragedy. I was trying not to be political on this site, but in light of the stupid fucking assenine fucking post of Gabriel's that greeted me when I checked the site today, which I refuse to comment on (what was Bowie's excuse for his remarks on fascism in 1976? "But I'm half Jewish". Gabriel, you had better be on some serious kilos of coke to have posted that shite.), I am going to be a little political here.

I did a little rant on my own blog, but I'm not nearly as eloquent as this was:

You may have to scroll down now to see the post from Viggo Mortensen from September 1, 2005. It seems appropos that "A Streetcar Named Desire" was set in NOLA, since the majority of assistance so far has come from the kindness of strangers, instead of from the all boys network who were elected to help their fellow countrymen when needed.

Blessings and best wishes to the people of the Mississippi. You're in our thoughts.

Posted by: Buttercup_J | Sep 3, 2005 5:52:44 PM