« [In_Dreams:_The_Twins] | Main | [Inside_Dierdre:
Unrequited_Love,_Part_2] »

2005.08.26

[Use_Your_Voice]

As we all know here, life in the House of Reznor can be hard -- fraught with uncaring stares, judging assumptions, and disdainful disregard. We may be the outsiders, the freaks -- but we will not be silenced, or feel ashamed.

BT Digital Music is holding their yearly People's Choice Awards, and it has come to my attention that some other NIN-related sites have been canvassing their readers for votes, trying to pump up their goodwill in the NINmunity -- perhaps they think they'll get comped more free stuff from Interscope and get to hang out with Trent more that way.

I say fuck that shit, George. Stand up. Embrace your inner misfit. Defeat the status quo.

Click the link to the right, and vote for WearingTheseChains for Best Music Website.

Posted by Gabriel in gabriel's_ponderings | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference [Use_Your_Voice]:

Comments

Uh, Gabriel? Are you out of your fucking mind, dude? Seriously, you have totally lost your shit.

Posted by: Dierdre | Aug 26, 2005 11:32:22 AM

And who's absorbing Iron Maiden right now?

Posted by: maise | Aug 26, 2005 12:13:10 PM

Ok, dude, this is fucked up. You need to find validation through a People's Choice Award? What's next? You're going to adduce your newfound religious rebirth by asking us to vote wearingthesechains.com as Best Christian Site on the Internet 2005?

Posted by: Buttercup_J | Aug 27, 2005 1:51:11 PM

Is there a poll for Best Christian Site? I think that would be a great way to spread awareness of The Word. Great idea Buttercup!

Posted by: Gabriel | Aug 27, 2005 7:24:13 PM

I don't think that Jesus would want you to sell your soul just to win a popularity contest, Gabriel. After all, He wasn't sent to this earth to win the Best Messiah Award of 30 AD. Jesus didn't sell out to the masses, dude. Meditate on that.

Posted by: Buttercup J. | Aug 27, 2005 8:35:36 PM

Amen, Buttercup. And, Gabriel, if a Christain site awards graphic goes up on WTC, I am THROUGH.

Posted by: Dierdre | Aug 28, 2005 1:10:13 AM

As you should Dierdre, as you should.

A christian site award on a Nine inch nails site... the irony is almost suffocating.

Posted by: Nicole | Aug 28, 2005 12:30:41 PM

I'm not sure the irony is exactly suffocating - I mean, as much as Trent's whole "Meh, God! You owe me a great big apology" schtick goes, I don't really think there's any song he's ever written or thing he's ever said that would allow you to make a solid argument that he doesn't believe in God, and there are millions of little things that could allow you, quite convincingly, to argue that he does.

Still, I will puke if we have to endure much more of Gabriel's haranguing. Because, seriously: PUKE.

Posted by: Dierdre | Aug 28, 2005 12:37:42 PM

Though it saddens me that all of you seem so hateful and spiteful towards the basical concepts and tenants of faith and love, I still accept you all, and all of your feelings.

BTW, that new Depeche Mode track "Precious" is amazing.

Posted by: Gabriel | Aug 28, 2005 10:26:55 PM

OMG, Gabriel, where are you hearing new Depeche Mode? Is it out yet? (I know they have a new album forthcoming, but I only really listen to the radio in my car.)

I am beyond excited about their upcoming tour (whenever they get around to making some sort of announcement about it), and the idea of seeing both NIN and Depeche Mode in concert this fall leaves me giddy as a schoolgirl. I would gladly bear love children for either Trent or David Gahan.

And Gabriel, I'm glad you've got your spiritual mojo back, but as a reader, I come here for the NIN. (Actually, if I were to be perfectly honest, I come here for your tumultuous banter with Deirdre and Deirdre's photo-essays and letters and your vain attempts to keep things Goth-y and angsty in this veritable hotbed of celebrity lust.) The Christian stuff (and I say this as a Christian and as your reader) leaves me with a sense of "meh."

It's like going to Dunkin Donuts, and you're expecting to get a chocolate-covered cake donut, which is freshly-baked but kinda crunchy, and maybe some coffee, and I'm salivating just writing this. So you walk into the bright pink morning oasis, and it looks and smells just as you expect...and then suddenly you're being offered a cup of boiled brussel sprouts (ostensibly good for you, but WTF?)

Give me my fucking donut, Gabe! Doesn't it make you happy to make me happy?

Posted by: maise | Aug 29, 2005 12:07:34 AM

Hotbed of celebrity lust, Maise? I'm insulted. Firstly, it's not lust, it's true goddamned love, and it's not "celebrity", it's Trent.

Gabriel, your "I accept you all" bullshit is what I can't take. Your passions are what made you great. Too bad Jesus has sucked them all out of you like a fucking vampire.

Boooooorrrrrriiiiinnngggg.

Posted by: Dierdre | Aug 29, 2005 3:27:54 AM

Maise, I must agree with Dierdre on this one. This is not just any "celebrity" lust; it is the discussion of our love for Trent, even if we put him in situations where he may not have thought of finding himself.

I am also very sorry for you if the joy of your gastronomical life comes from Dunkin Donuts. I pray that your tongue discovers the sheer bliss that a true pain au chocolat belgique and a nice cafe au lait can bring to your life. Or, at the very least, in case you do not have a Belgian or French patisserie near you, a Chantico at Starbucks instead.

Posted by: Mimi | Aug 29, 2005 6:20:21 AM

Maise-- the new single is up on iTunes, and a early animatic of the video for "Precious" leaked on the net (I don't want to link it directly here, but if you check out the first hit on this google search you might find something interesting). Cannot wait for the new record.

Dierdre: Don't be such a fucking philistine. Christ.

Mimi: I think Taco Bell is cool.

Posted by: Gabriel | Aug 29, 2005 7:15:14 AM

Mimi,

It's an analogy...only an analogy! I actually have abstained from pastries for quite a long time, but I've not much to show for my sacrifice.

Posted by: maise | Aug 29, 2005 7:24:38 AM

Okay, I'll amend my original statement. "hotbed of Trent true love/lust."

I'm leaving the "lust" on there because ain't nothing wrong with lust. You can tell that it's one of life's most enjoyable sensations because the Church has made it a "deadly sin."

Posted by: maise | Aug 29, 2005 7:35:40 AM

You prove a valid point, Dierdre. I feel very dumb now. Anyway...

...Heres an idea, if Gabriel keeps it up and it does cause you to vomit, vomit in a tupperware, put a sticker (or tape a piece of paper)on it that says "Will you die for this?" and proceed to give it to Gabe. I don't know if he'd find the humor in it, but I'm sure his reaction would be funny.

Posted by: Nicole | Aug 29, 2005 11:29:17 AM

My reaction probably wouldn't be as funny as a typically anti-Christian Nine Inch Nails fan trying to push a person of faith's buttons by doing a weak riff on Christian mantras.

It probably wouldn't be as boring, either. That's why I've always left that kind of tired (and cliche) acting out to the likes of Saturnine and Mormolyke.

Posted by: Gabriel | Aug 29, 2005 2:10:35 PM

Sacre bleu, Gabriel! La Cloche de Taco??!! Calice, eu, Caline deBine! Non non, mon cher, say it is not so! And you live so close to the home of real Mexican food. I do not believe that our Heavenly Father put real food on the earth so that you could pollute yourself with chemicals and plastics formed into something that used to resemble a meal. Notre Seigneur never ate at a fast food restaurant. I think I may have to cash in my $500 airplane voucher and help you purge your sinful soul of edible oil products. Remember, cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Posted by: Mimi | Aug 29, 2005 3:02:31 PM

'Cleanliness is next to Godliness'....hmmmm...well Gabriel would agree, but I would say 'eat, drink, and be merry'. Taco Bell and Dunkin Donuts are good. Eat it, love it, and revel in your cholesterol and lack of culture.

And Nicole, I thought the vomit thing was funny.

Posted by: Jessica | Aug 30, 2005 3:46:28 AM

Maise, the part where you said you would birth Dave Gahan's love child is the part where you fully lost me, man.

I like lust though.

Posted by: Dierdre | Aug 30, 2005 8:55:24 AM

Whaaaaaa????? Skinny, emotional British rockers don't do it for you? Even when he's got such a gorgeous voice? Oh well, I guess that's just more Dave for me, then...

Posted by: maise | Aug 30, 2005 9:04:33 AM

The British rocker I love is Thom Yorke. He's a bit wonky looking, but he's a fucking brilliant genuis, and his voice can make me weep. However, there shall be no love-children. Not ever, and not under any circumstances. I think Thom would agree.

I'm also quite fond of David Bowie for his epic, unbelievable, athletic genius, and fabulous costumes, but the love child thing? No fucking way.

Posted by: Dierdre | Aug 30, 2005 9:15:19 AM

So is it a question of legitimacy or just that you'd only go through childbirth for Trent?

Now I've got that damn Diana Ross song stuck in my head...oh well, I brought it on myself.

Posted by: maise | Aug 30, 2005 9:24:23 AM

I don't believe I've said I would birth Trent's love child, either, have I? All I'm saying is, Trent? I would consider it, I guess, if I had to. Those others though? There'd never be any reason to consider it, unless they got me pregnant from afar with their ingredible aesthetic potency. In which case I'm not sure it could be considered a love child... you know, since it would be an immaculate conception, and all.

Should I translate that into plain-spoken French? The only one of them I'd fuck is Trent. And, truthfully? I wouldn't want Trent thinking I'm a whore, or a *gasp* STARFUCKER, so I might not fuck him either; unless he gave me flowers, while kneeling and professing his undying devotion, and I was certain he loved me with the white hot passion of 10,000 burning suns.

In that case, nothing would stop me.

Posted by: Dierdre | Aug 30, 2005 5:09:02 PM

Hmmm...Deirdre, you seem oddly restrained today; that's no fun.

Whatever happened to having 10,000 of Trent's babies and riding him in the manner of a stallion or any of the other fun sexed up things you've written?

"I might not fuck him either..."

?!

Actually, I'm just teasing...I respect that. "Love child" is merely a bit of hyperbole on my part. Even if I weren't blissfully married, I'd probably panic and flee before even getting close to love child conceiving. ;)

Posted by: maise | Aug 30, 2005 5:35:22 PM