« [Dear_Trent_#_13:
The_Afterglow_Edition_Part _2]
| Main | [What_The_Fuck] »

2005.07.18

[Burn]

Remember back in third grade, when there was that one maladjusted blonde girl who used to always wear OshKosh B'Gosh overalls along with a striped shirt, no matter what the time of year? You'd always get the sense her parents kept her on a little too tight of a leash, because the minute anybody ventured into the gravel and tried to get on one of the swings next to her, she'd put her hands over her ears and just start blubbering nonstop -- because if she couldn't hear the person beside her, then they obviously weren't there.

I always wondered what happened to little Evvie Perkins. She used to be such a cute little basket case. Apparently she grew up, blew up, and split into two twin orbs of glowing blubbering hate that happen to like nine inch nails.

See, over the weekend, one of our dear friends at ETS -- Faturnine -- felt the need to spread her wide ass even wider and shit on a thread Mimi had started to get some feedback on the first installment of her story "In Dreams". Then Orestes, taking a break from her weekly courses in Elvish, locked said thread, and then banned the lot of us from Echoing the Sound.

Yep, kids, that's right -- with hands on ears and the chant of "yourenothereyourenothereyourenotthere" ringing in the air -- the mods booted Dierdre (aka buttplug aka cervix lump aka pappy sack), myself, Gabriel (aka "the other Carol Reznor") and Mimi (she'd just joined and hadn't yet gotten a neato nickname from the big bad internet bullies) from ever logging into and posting on ETS ever again.

Of course, we're somewhat sad. I will miss bitchslapping Saturnine's attempts at insults again and again, while watching her flail. I will feel an empty space in my heart where Orestes self-hate-fueled lashings once brought joy. And to no longer be able to play Jesus Mad Libs™, well... I think I speak for all the WTCers when I say no longer being able to watch that waterwheel spin himself up over our posts may be the saddest loss of all.

Strange, how on a discussion board for nine inch nails, where the rallying cry for the cunts and the cocksuckers is so very often, "It's just the internet, noob! I can't believe you got mad about internet drama! LOL!!" that a couple of fans named Dierdre and Gabriel get banned for talking about the thing that they love: nine inch fucking nails. I wish I could say one of the three of us had done something egregious, or that we'd been threatened with banning if we didn't stop a certain specific type of behavior, and then all 3 of us had done it anyway... but nope. We didn't break any mandates. They just booted us because we tried to sit on their swing.

I don't know. Maybe they got mad about internet drama.

But unlike ETS, here at Wearing These Chains we don't like to spend all our time indulging in personal jack-off indulgences... no, here we actually like to talk about Trent Reznor and his band. So I've picked a little lyrical selection to share today.

This world rejects me
This world threw me away
This world never gave me a chance
This world gonna have to pay

I don't believe in your institutions
I did what you wanted me to
We're like the cancer in the system
And we've got a little suprise for you

I am the agent
I am corruption
I am the angel
Of your destruction

I am subversion
Secret desire
I am your future
Swallow down all that fire

I would be remiss, however, if I closed this post without giving a very special Thank You, though, to all of those involved with our tenure at Echoing The Sound. Yes, we may have had our differences, Faturnine, Orestes, AgentNaranja, and all the others, but without all of your attention, we never would have become the site we are today.

Yes, it's you -- your constant linkage in the Shitlist and other forums, your complaining about us on your blogs (and your "livejournal friends'" blogs), and your endless patting of yourselves on the back for "not being lame like Dierdre and Gabriel" (always with a link to WTC) -- that took us from being an unknown little corner of the 'net, to a fully-realized and growing website, with a loyal, participatory readership, recognition throughout the NIN fan community, and a steadily broadening and growing influx of new readers.

So take pride, I say -- every time you see somebody mention Dierdre, Gabriel, or Mimi online, or when our custom WearingTheseChains merch goes on sale next month, you can sit back with pride and say, "That was me. I helped make that happen."

"I was part of history."

They say there's no such thing as bad press, and mapping our number of repeat visitors against the times you guys all took so much time laying into us, I'd have to say "they" are right. We never could have done it without you all.

Oh, and Saturnine -- I was serious about that job selling bumper stickers for us. Email me if you're interested. You're truly the best P.R. person we could have ever hoped for -- thanks for being so predictable, sweets.
Ciao-

Gabriel
on behalf of Dierdre, Mimi, and the entire past, present, and future staff of WearingTheseChains

Posted by Gabriel in gabriel's_ponderings | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference [Burn]:

Comments

Secret desire, baby. I'm so all about that, so swallow down all that fire, bitches!

WTC will not be defeated.

Posted by: Dierdre | Jul 18, 2005 1:05:18 PM

lol..aww you can join me! i got banned for sticking up for WTC

*sighs* ya, like i'm disapointed about being banned...

hahaha

Posted by: Jen | Jul 18, 2005 1:13:40 PM

OMG, Jen. THAT IS AWESOME! I can't believe they're even banning our readers!

You rule. We love you here at WTC, and we promise never to ban you.

Posted by: Dierdre | Jul 18, 2005 1:26:33 PM

aww..i love you guys too, i love reading your posts. I would be so upset if u banned me.

and i am DYING to hear the next post from mimi!! i dont know if i can wait much longer!

Posted by: Jen | Jul 18, 2005 1:38:15 PM

I'm not surprised you guys were banned, especially since you pissed off the 'cool' people. I don't read ETS much anymore, it's really old hearing from the same handful of elitists and smartasses empowered by anonymity. You can't even ask a simple question without apologizing profusely then getting flamed anyway. I'm a little happy you guys were banned, because that means you'll spend less time posting in that crappy forum and more time posting here. YAY!

Posted by: Jessica | Jul 18, 2005 1:43:20 PM

If I actually read any forum other than the Nine Inch Nails forum on ETS, believe you me, I would have been there defending and getting banned alongside you. ETS is really no better than another board I go to (which I'm ashamed to mention, so, I'm not)... my friend constantly gets banned for doing nothing wrong, aside from pissing off the wrong people.

And like Jen, I'm dying to read Mimi's next installment.

Posted by: Kim | Jul 18, 2005 2:17:27 PM

I'm delighted by all this well-deserved love Mimi's getting. Right on, man.

Posted by: Dierdre | Jul 18, 2005 2:29:54 PM

i can remember that first post faturnine flamed dierdre for in 'shitlist.'

memories ...

that's unfortunate, nonetheless. the two of you were the only members who could go head-to-head with those rotten characters and consistently come out on top.

i, too, stood up for wtc (in more than one thread). it's been since then that i've so much as glanced through their 'tour journal' and i truly hope all is well with those mods, no doubt. i also thank them for giving you the attention you most certainly deserve.

oi! oi! oi!

i love you, dierdre and gabriel.

oi!

denise

Posted by: denise | Jul 18, 2005 4:54:31 PM

Thanks so much for all the kick ass support and sentiments you guys -- we're truly blessed with the best fucking readers on the Internet!

The truth is, Dierdre and I could reregister on ETS, using different names and emails, and worm our way back into their lives, and then start slowly picking... and picking... and picking... (oooh-ooooooooh) and no refrain of "I won't let you fall apart" could save them... but the truth is since the tour has started and the fever pitch has died down, that place has just gotten pretty fucking boring (hence the rise of all the fake personas drumming up drama and the aggressive gang raping and group banning; you have to punctuate the silence with something, right?)

We had fun, and they definitely served their purpose as far as Dierdre and I are concerned, but seriously -- we've got you guys, our awesome readers, or we've got the Never-Believer Hate Patrol over in ETS Mod-ville. How could anyone in our position not feel the richer?

Posted by: Gabriel | Jul 18, 2005 6:11:37 PM

Somehow they banned my sister, but not me. Interesting...anyway, just wanted to thank you kids for being so nice to her. And if there are any legal ramifications to any of their actions, just know that I know legal counsel in every major IP firm in Canada, the US, Ireland, and the UK. They won't get very far...

Posted by: Buttercup J. | Jul 19, 2005 12:18:37 PM

Thank you, Gabriel, Dierdre, and thanks to my sister (thanks for letting the secret out, BJ. Now everyone will think I'm riding your coattails again). I was really upset yesterday when I was banned, and thought I had messed things up for sure. But Buttercup took the tub of Haagen Dazs from my arms, gave me a kiss, and kicked my butt around the house for letting them win for just a few moments. She's gonna be a great lawyer.

Oh, and as for all you hater bitches (to quote G&D), united we stand, divided we stand but a few inches apart, though no more than nine.

And thanks, Kim and Jen. Part II will not disappoint.

Posted by: Mimi | Jul 19, 2005 3:56:17 PM

Screw ETS. I was there for a short while..when Diedre first started getting shitlisted. I made a fun comment on a thread..one of the mods or admins couldn't figure out if he/she should shitlist more or what...I didn't hurt anyone or cross any lines when I was Carol Reznored. I promptly sent a request to be removed from the board..and was. With all that said, I'm waiting for the Spiral to get up and running as I enjoyed a few cool people from ETS...many which are gone now...and would like an open place to chat with fellow fans. Also, would love to arrange hookups for the upcoming fall tour. I seriously doubt TR is going to give us a bunch of shit on the new forum..whenever it finally gets up and running. G, D, & M, I love this site...I love the creativity the 3 of you have. Keep up the great work...and hopefully soon we'll have a new home to chat.

love & hugs,
bex
(formally known as beckyfromrichmond...to those that made me feel unwelcomed at ETS..and I know you all will somehow read or hear about this...BITE MY ASS).

Posted by: bex | Jul 20, 2005 8:29:39 AM

Bex, I'm so glad you're reading. I remember you from ETS, and liked your posts there.

Keep in touch!

Posted by: Dierdre | Jul 20, 2005 8:42:42 AM

Hey Diedre!

Thanks, I'll be lurking about.

hugs

Posted by: bex | Jul 20, 2005 8:57:04 AM

I'd say "sorry you were banned," but you're not, so I won't be. I suppose I avoided being "Carol Reznored" and banned because a) I'm a part-time lurker and b) I've been camping for the past week and this is the first time I've touched a computer since I got back. I admit I'm a little surprised that I didn't get either treatment, though. When I did post regarding WTC, it was always supportive (as you may have noticed).

But I'm still on ETS, and if I choose to remain, you'd better believe I'm going to mind what I say around certain people more so now than ever.

In any case, keep kicking copious amounts of ass like you've been doing. Me, I think I'm going to start on an essay that I've been thinking about writing and submitting to you fine folk in the hopes that you like it and make me a guest contributor.

Posted by: emerald527 | Jul 24, 2005 10:47:19 PM

Most of the worst people of ETS are gone now. Yay! Everyone hated you. Stay away.

Posted by: k | Aug 4, 2005 5:13:27 PM

It's okay, k -- we LOVED you. And don't worry -- we won't disappear from your guys lives. After all we've been through together? Twould be a shame.

G.